GCSE post-results services | Student information | Pearson qualifications
Results and certification Post-results services

Edexcel GCSE

If you're not happy with your GCSE results, there are several options available to you. Find out about our review of marking service and how to get a copy of your exam paper, and read the answers to FAQs about post-results services.

Read more

Select from the tabs below to find out more about how to:

  • get the marking of your work reviewed
  • get a copy of your marked work

{{ gatDoctitle }}

User tabs

Can I get the marking of my exam paper checked?

Yes. Quality assurance procedures are in place throughout every stage of the exam cycle, but if you're concerned that your grade is wrong, you can ask us to perform additional checks.

If you'd like to request one of our 'Reviews of marking and moderation' (RoMM) services previously known as 'Enquiries about results' (EAR) services, you'll need to speak to the exams officer at your school or college, who will ask us to review the marking of your question paper on your behalf.

When will I get the result?

The table below shows when you can expect an outcome. For information about deadlines and fees, see:

Post-results key dates

Post-results fees

Service How long will it take?
Priority review of marking (Service P2) Up to 15 days
Review of marking (Service 2) Up to 20 days
Clerical check (Service 1)
Up to 10 days

Can I get my controlled assessment mark reviewed?

It's not normally possible for you to ask us to look at your controlled assessment again.

Your teacher marks all project work, coursework and controlled assessment. It is then moderated, meaning that we request a sample of your teacher’s marked work and we check that we agree with their assessment.

Moderation is necessary to make sure that all students have their coursework assessed according to the same standards. Most of the time, your teacher’s marks will be approved and accepted unchanged. However, sometimes marks are reduced or raised, if your teacher’s marking was judged to have been too lenient or too harsh.

If you think that the mark on your results slip is not the mark your teacher gave you, please check with your teacher to see what happened to marks after moderation. If we did not adjust your mark, talk to your teacher or exams officer and they’ll get in touch with us. If we did adjust your mark, your teacher will need to decide if they want to send back all of the work from your school or college for remoderation.

We can't remoderate a controlled assessment for an individual or remoderate work where we didn't change your teacher's mark. Controlled assessments can be remoderated if we changed the marks given by your teacher, but it is down to your school to decide whether to request this.

Your school or college will need to base their decision as to whether to request remoderation on what is best for the majority of students. When we receive a request for remoderation, the work of all students originally entered at your school or college goes through the moderation process again. This means that changes made to grades during remoderation may affect all students who submitted work. If your school has decided not to submit controlled assessments for remoderation, you will need to discuss this directly with them as we can’t overturn their decision.

The rules around marking, moderating and remoderating coursework and controlled assessments are agreed jointly by the major UK awarding organisations. They are in place to ensure that all students are treated equally, regardless of the awarding organisation used for their subject.

Can I see my answers/get a copy of my marked exam paper?

Yes. The exams officer at your school or college will be able to request for us to return your marked question paper on your behalf. This service is sometimes called an ‘Access to Script’ request. 

Important dates and fees

Your school or college may ask you to pay for these services before they submit your application. For information about deadlines and fees, see:

Post-results key dates

Post-results fees

Can I get my controlled assessment back?

Yes. You can ask your school or college to return any project, coursework or controlled assessments.

Can I resit an exam unit/resubmit a controlled assessment?

It's no longer possible to resit individual GCSEs units in order to improve your overall grade. Instead you’ll need to retake all exam units in order for us to award a new grade.

The rules for resubmitting controlled assessments vary by subject. So, if you decide to retake your qualification, you'll need to check with your teacher to see whether you can improve your existing work or will need to complete a different task.

Resitting usually refers to retaking an individual exam or unit. Retaking a qualification means that you start again, redoing all of the exams.

If you decide to retake the qualification, you may be able to carry forward your grades for controlled assessments but you'll need to double-check with your teacher that this is possible.

GCSE English Language and Maths can be taken in the summer or November exam sessions. All other GCSE exams are only available in the summer. You can find exam dates by checking our exam timetables or by speaking to your exams officer.

There is a charge for entering each unit and you'll need to check with your exams officer to see if your school will pay for you to redo an exam or piece of coursework. If you have to pay the entry fee yourself, you can find what we charge your centre on the fees page.

User tabs

Are you sure you want to exit this session?