Results and certification Post-results services

Edexcel International A levels

If you're not happy with your International Advanced Level results, there are several options available to you. Find out about our review of marking service and how to get a copy of your exam paper, and read the answers to FAQs about post-results services.

Read more

Select from the tabs below to find out more about how to:

  • get the marking of your work reviewed
  • get a copy of your marked work

{{ gatDoctitle }}

User tabs

Can I get the marking of my exam paper checked?

Yes. Quality assurance procedures are in place throughout every stage of the exam cycle, but if you're concerned that your grade is wrong, you can ask us to perform additional checks.

If you'd like to request one of our 'Reviews of marking and moderation' (RoMM) services previously known as 'Enquiries about results' (EAR) services, you'll need to speak to the exams officer at your school or college, who will ask us to review the marking of your question paper on your behalf.

When will I get the result?

The table below shows when you can expect an outcome. For information about deadlines and fees, see:

Post-results key dates

Post-results fees

Service How long will it take?
Priority review of marking (Service P2)
Up to 15 days
Review of marking (Service 2) Up to 20 days
Clerical check (Service 1)
Up to 10 days

Before deciding to request a review of marking you should speak to your teacher. They may have additional information on how you performed during your assessment and be able to provide you with guidance.

The majority of review of marking requests do not result in a change to a grade, simply because the review of marking has shown that the original grade was accurate. However, it is possible that your grade could go up, go down or stay the same.

If your grade goes down, you cannot reject the review of marking and go back to the original grade. The only way to improve your grade would be to resit the exam.

The marking of your question paper will be reviewed by a senior examiner, who will check your answers against the mark scheme. This senior examiner won’t have marked your paper before. Once the marking of your paper has been reviewed, we'll do a clerical check to make sure that:

  • everything you've written has been marked
  • all of the marks have been added up to give the correct total mark
  • we’ve entered your total mark correctly on our systems
  • any special consideration has been taken into account (if it was applied for before the exam).

You can request that we only perform the clerical check. This will cost less than having a full review of marking.

If your exam paper was marked using our onscreen marking platform, your work will be sent electronically to a senior examiner as soon as your school or college makes a request.

The senior examiner is able to review the marking of the exam paper online and, as soon as they submit their mark, your school or college will be notified of the outcome.

We aim to have the result of your review of marking back to you within 20 days.

We understand that when you have a place at university or further education college that is dependent on your results, you need to know the outcome faster. That's why in August we also offer a priority review of marking service where we aim to have the result back to you within 15 days.

Yes, we send UCAS results information regularly. If your overall grade changes as a result of a review of marking or a clerical check, they will be told your new grade within 48 hours.

We don't refund students or parents directly but you may be able to request a refund from your school or college if:

  • you've been issued an overall grade and this changes as a result of the review of marking
  • you haven't been issued an overall grade and your notional unit grade changes as a result of the review of marking.

The refund policy for marking reviews is agreed jointly by the major UK awarding organisations.

If you're still not satisfied with the outcome of your review of marking, you can ask your centre to appeal on your behalf. Appeals do not normally involve reviewing your work again, but this will happen if there is evidence that the correct procedure wasn’t followed during the original review of marking.

Your centre has 30 calendar days after receiving the outcome of your review of marking to appeal. We can't process appeal requests after this deadline.

Find out more about appeals

Yes. Although private candidates often find it easier to speak to their school or college about their results, they can contact Pearson directly to request post-results services like a review of marking or to request a marked copy of their exam paper.

If a private candidate is unhappy with the outcome of a review of marking, they can also appeal our decision without going through their exam centre.

Contact our Student Services team

Can I see my answers/get a copy of my marked exam paper?

Yes. The exams officer at your school or college can ask us to return your marked question paper on your behalf. This service is sometimes called an ‘access to script’ request. 

Important dates and fees

Your school or college may ask you to pay for these services before they submit your application. For information about deadlines and fees, see:

Post-results key dates

Post-results fees

Your marked question paper will indicate the number of marks you received for each question but may not show much more detail, such as which part of your answer was awarded credit. Our examiners don't usually annotate question papers while marking.

You'll need to speak to your teacher in order to get a copy of the mark scheme or for additional help interpreting where you've been awarded marks.

Yes, provided that:

  • you aren’t requesting a priority review of marking for your question paper
  • you make the request before the priority deadline. You’ll need to submit your request to your school or college pretty quickly, as the deadline for applications is the week after results day.

We can't process any applications once a deadline has passed. If you request a copy of your exam paper after the priority deadline, you won't receive it until after the deadline to submit review of marking requests.

Yes. Ask the exams officer at your school or college to request this service at the same time as submitting your review of marking request.

Can I resit an exam for an Edexcel International A level unit?

Edexcel International A Level units (beginning with a 'W')

You can redo any Edexcel International Advanced Level unit, but we'll only consider your two most recent attempts when determining your best result.

If you already have an overall grade for your qualification, you'll need to cash in again to ensure we recalculate your grade.

Banked Edexcel GCE A level and transitional units (beginning with a '6')

If you completed an Edexcel GCE A level unit before September 2013, you can use the mark you were awarded towards your Edexcel International Advanced Level result.

A level units completed after September 2013 can't be used towards your International Advanced Level, so if you want to improve the result of a banked unit, you'll either need to retake it as part of an A level or take the International Advanced Level version of the unit.

In January 2014 we offered transition units which began with a six and contained an 'A' as either the fourth or fifth character (e.g. 6BIA1 or 6663A). These units will not be available again and therefore you won't be able to resit these exams or resubmit coursework for these units.

Before deciding to resit, discuss your results with your teachers. You may find that a resit is not your best option. Sometimes, students don't do as well on the next units because their mind is focusing on improving the grade of an earlier unit instead. Remember, it is much more important to get a good mark on a unit that has a higher weighting.

You can find exam dates by checking our exam timetables or by speaking to your exams officer.

There is a charge for entering each unit and you'll need to check with your exams officer to see if your school will pay for you to redo an exam or piece of coursework. If you have to pay the entry fee yourself, you can find what we charge your centre on the fees page.

User tabs
What do you think?

Are you sure you want to exit this session?