Registrations and entries Academic registration and entries

Private candidates

Private candidates are responsible for their own entries, which must be made through an approved centre. 

Read more

Advice for private candidates sitting GCSEs and AS/A levels with non-exam assessments (NEA) and endorsements

Some GCSE and AS/A level qualifications do not only have timetabled written exams, but also include non-exam assessments (NEA). NEA can include coursework, controlled assessment or an endorsement. Candidates studying subjects such as A level English or A level History will need to complete an NEA as well as timetabled exams to achieve the qualification.

Subjects which include a practical or spoken language endorsement are reported separately on certificates and don't contribute to the GCSE or A level grade.

Your chosen exam centre will be responsible for all aspects of the NEA which includes title/task setting, supervision, authentication, marking and following all administration requirements specified by Pearson. Please note that Pearson is not able to mark completed NEA, even if you have completed it with a private tutor.

Where an endorsement is attached to the GCSE or AS/A level, your exam centre can only accept your entry if they are willing to provide you the opportunity to complete the endorsement. Pearson will require them to sign a declaration to confirm this.

Entry procedure for private candidates

If you're a UK Edexcel approved centre, there is no restriction on entry in any subject for private candidates for any qualification you are approved to offer.

However, before making an entry for a private candidate, the centre must be confident that they will be able to satisfy the conditions specified for managing non-exam assessments, particularly being able to ensure the authenticity of candidates' work, allowing appropriate time for supervised completion and safe storage of work throughout.

A level Science Practical Skills Endorsement and GCSE English Language Spoken Language Endorsement are mandatory parts of those qualifications. Centres must offer all candidates the opportunity to undertake them, and encourage them as far as possible to do so.

Distance learning providers

Some distance learning providers (such as the National Extension College) are approved centres and will be able to make the entry and arrange for you to complete all the necessary assessments, including the NEA.

Before you commit to a distance learning course, make sure that you understand what arrangements will be in place to enable you to complete the required NEA and examinations, and are clear about any fees that may be attached.

User tabs
What do you think?

Are you sure you want to exit this session?