Pearson Edexcel GCSEs Mathematics (9-1) from 2015
Training and events
Our training and events programme will help you deliver the GCSE 9-1 Mathematics qualification with confidence.
We run a number of GCSE (9-1) Mathematics events every term, including our free collaborative network events. You can visit our training page and book onto the events of your choice.
Pearson Edexcel GCSE Maths subject specialist live online drop-in session
Providing free teacher-to-teacher expert support
Do you ever have moments when preparing for and teaching GCSE maths when you find you’d like some advice or have a query you’d like answered there and then? Well, we can help you with that…
As part of our commitment to providing ongoing support to all our GCSE maths centres we’re introducing a new style of live online event where you can join in and have your queries around the teaching and learning of GCSE (9-1) Mathematics answered there and then, in real time.
Pietro Tozzi, one of our subject specialists and a teacher at Gumley House School in London, will be hosting three live online Q&A sessions between 4pm and 5.30pm on:
- Wednesday 21 November
- Wednesday 28 November
- Wednesday 5 December
As well as sharing his own experiences and those of other schools and colleges he has worked with, Pietro is able to provide advice, tips and resources across a number of different areas:
- tier entry decisions
- measuring student progress
- supporting lower attainers
- stretch and challenge for your most able students.
These sessions will focus on the teaching and learning of GCSE (9-1) Maths. If you have questions or queries on exam papers, results or support provided for our GCSE or A level Maths qualifications, then please contact us at TeachingMaths@pearson.com.
Free to attend, these online drop-in sessions are for maths teachers and Heads of Departments teaching GCSE (9-1) Mathematics. You can join the live online event and stay from beginning to end, or just drop in when you’re ready.
You’ll be able to ask questions and Pietro will answer them during the session. In the event that too many questions are submitted during the drop-in session we will ensure that we respond to unanswered questions once the event is over.
In addition to having your questions answered, and gaining some useful advice and tips, you’ll receive an online pack of resources developed by an experienced teacher to help support you in the teaching and learning of GCSE (9-1) Maths.
Pietro Tozzi has been teaching maths for 34 years. He has Head of Department experience and last summer his school’s mathematics GCSE 4-9 indicator was 83%. Pietro has worked with Pearson for a number of years and has contributed to the Pearson Edexcel Mathematics training programme, as well as being involved in the creation of a number of support materials. He also supports and presents at some of the Pearson Collaborative Hubs up and down the country and wrote some of the (Pure and Mechanics) schemes for the reformed A level Mathematics. Pietro was nominated for a National Teaching Award.
Pietro has given help and advice to a number of schools over the years. Here are some of the things teachers have said about the support Pietro has provided.
"Pietro was very informative, helpful and knowledgeable; gave me loads of resources and clear ideas on how to identify, select intervention students and raise their performance using tests, mark schemes and feedback."
"Pietro was extremely helpful and supportive in matching skills and teaching methods to the delivery of the content required for Pearson examinations."
Look out for further information and details on how to join each event.
Pearson Heads of Mathematics conferences, January 2019
We're hosting six 1-day Heads of Mathematics conferences across the country in January 2019. Join us for a day, meet the Pearson Edexcel mathematics team and network with other teachers. The morning will focus on GCSE maths and the afternoon will focus on A level maths.
The morning session will include:
- a brief update on our mathematics qualifications offer
- feedback on the GCSE mathematics summer 2018 papers, looking at how students performed on the crossover questions
- a further two sessions with a choice of workshops in each.
The afternoon session will include:
- feedback on the new AS and A level maths papers
- A level teaching and learning (Mechanics) - this session is aimed delegates who have previously only taught 'Mechanics 1' or have no previous experience of teaching Mechanics
- A level maths, 'Working with the Statistics Large Data Set'.
You'll have the opportunity to network with other delegates, meet the maths team and participate in maths activities.
You can book for half a day for £30 (+VAT) or the full day for £50 (+VAT) and lunch is included. This course will count as 3-3.5 hours of CPD.
For full details on all the events, the sessions, and to book your place, visit our training page.
Online event: Pearson Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Mathematics - discussion about summer 2018 exam
Our maths subject expert, Graham Cumming, hosted this free online event on 17 October.
In the session Graham:
- shared the findings from the performance of students from the summer 2018 exam series
- shared analysis of the data gathered from the summer exams
- looked at the different types of questions on the papers
- identified questions that highlight students' weaknesses
- identified questions that highlight students' strengths.
If you missed it a recording of this event will be available shortly.
GCSE (9-1) Mathematics summer 2017 feedback
Available to view online, these free recordings provide feedback on the GCSE (9-1) Mathematics summer 2017 exam series. Ideal to use in departmental meetings, these recordings allow the host, a senior examiner in the GCSE Mathematics team, to:
- explore the national performance of candidates in the summer 2017 series
- consider variations in performance between different questions
- discuss Examiner's Reports and general comments arising from students' performance
- take delegates through selected questions, explaining the requirements for the awarding of marks as outlined in the mark scheme, followed by marking of candidate responses and an exploration of the commentary provided by principal examiners.
Mocks marking training events
Mock exams will be key to gaining a snapshot of how students are performing during new, linear GCSE (9-1) Mathematics courses. Our mocks marking training events will help you apply the new mark schemes, so you can be confident you’re getting a clear picture of your students’ achievements.
This pre-recorded training is an introduction to our online and face-to-face mocks marking training events.
It will give you an overview of:
- the assessment requirements of the new specification
- the new types of questions that exist within the revised papers
- how mark schemes are developed to match the question asked
- some sample student responses to questions
- how we can support you in marking your students' work.
If you were unable to attend one of our mocks marking training events, you can ask your exams officer to download the training content for both Foundation and Higher tier via Edexcel Online.