Progressing from BTEC to higher education | Pearson qualifications
Understanding our qualifications Achieving your learning and career goals

Progressing from BTEC to higher education

More than 100,000 BTEC students apply to university in the UK, and the number is growing each year. 

Read more

From a BTEC National, you could go on to study a 3-year full-time undergraduate degree course. You could even do a sandwich degree. If you don't quite meet the entry requirements, you could do a foundation year course before the degree. This is mainly in subjects such as engineering, computing and sciences.

You could also study a BTEC Higher National (also known as HNC / HNDs) and top this up to an undergraduate degree later. Some courses are also available part time.

You can study at over 150 universities and other higher education colleges in the UK.

Did you know... ?

  • 95% of UK universities and colleges accept BTEC students.
  • Many further education colleges also run degree, foundation degree, HNC and HND courses.

Our Degree Course Finder (DCF) is for students studying a Pearson qualification (Edexcel or BTEC) and looking for progression options to university. 

Learn more about our Degree Course Finder


Most universities accept a BTEC National Extended Diploma on its own. If you are taking a Diploma, a 90-Credit Diploma or a Subsidiary Diploma, you may need to take another qualification such as an A level.

Some courses ask for particular units or pathways, and a few ask for an A level with the Extended Diploma. So you will need to check individual course requirements.

The majority of degree courses require a grade C in GCSE English and maths. Some courses also require a grade C in science GCSE.

Case studies

{{ gatDoctitle }}

User tabs

Are you sure you want to exit this session?