Find out how to calculate grades for the BTEC Firsts and BTEC Nationals (first teaching from 2016) with our grade calculator.
You can use the calculator to:
- calculate the overall grade that a learner will achieve based on their results for each unit
- model potential outcomes should a learner obtain certain grades in the external unit(s)
- plan your courses - the calculator tells you if a unit is internal or external.
Download the grade calculators
Frequently asked questions
Clear the sector and any optional units and then try again. If you can’t fix the problem, please contact your subject specialist.
Select the relevant cell and press the 'Delete' or 'Backspace' key on your keyboard. You can also use the drop-down arrow to correct the mistake.
All you need to know to deliver BTEC
System requirements and limitations
You'll need the full version of Microsoft Excel 2010, or a later version, in order to use the grade calculator.
Calculating a grade
- Select the qualification size.
- Choose from the list of available sectors in the orange drop-down box.
- Select the optional units from the orange drop-down box. This will only let you choose certain units based on the rules of combination set out in the specification. The GLH total will stay red until you’ve selected a sufficient number.
- Select the grade for each unit that the learner has achieved (or is predicted to achieve). The calculator will automatically calculate the points as you enter each grade.
- The final grade and points total will be displayed below.