Find out how qualification grades are aggregated for the BTEC Firsts, Tech Awards and BTEC Nationals (first teaching from 2016) with our grade calculators.
You can use the calculator to:
- calculate the overall grade that a learner will achieve based on their results for each unit
- model potential outcomes should a learner obtain certain grades in the external unit(s)
- plan your courses - the calculator tells you if a unit is internal or external
- check unit combinations will be eligible for certification
- use our Reverse calculators to ‘reverse calculate’ the required externally assessed mark and grade based on internally assessed unit achievement, and a qualification outcome.
Download the grade calculators
Frequently asked questions
Select the relevant cell and press the 'Delete' or 'Backspace' key on your keyboard. You can also use the drop-down arrow to correct the mistake.
All you need to know to deliver BTEC
System requirements and limitations
You'll need the full version of Microsoft Excel 2010, or a later version, in order to use the grade calculator.
Calculating a grade
- Select the qualification size.
- Choose from the list of available sectors in the orange drop-down box.
- Select the optional units from the orange drop-down box. This will only let you choose certain units based on the rules of combination set out in the specification. The GLH total will stay red until you’ve selected a sufficient number.
- Select the grade for each unit that the learner has achieved (or is predicted to achieve). The calculator will automatically calculate the points as you enter each grade.
- The final grade and points total will be displayed below.