April 2023 A level Music and Music Technology subject update
This update contains the latest news for Edexcel A level Music and A level Music Technology including information for Summer 2023.
Work for NEA components must be made available to us by 15 May 2023 using the Learner Work Transfer (LWT) portal. This year, students should complete all work required by the specification:
A Level Music:
- Component 1: Performance recital (minimum 8 minutes)
- Component 2: Brief or free composition and brief assessing technique (minimum 6 minutes)
- Read further information about Briefs Assessing Technique
A Level Music Technology:
- Component 1: Recording (3 to 3½ minutes)
- Component 2: Technology-based composition (3 minutes)
AS Level Music Technology:
- Component 1: Recording (2 to 2½ minutes)
- Component 2: Technology-based composition (2½ minutes)
You will need to digitally upload files for each student.
AS/A Level Music Technology Component 4 exams
Component 4 audio should be uploaded to the LWT portal this year.
Administrative Support Guide
Administrative support guides detail how to present the work for the examiner. You can find them below:
AS/A level Music Technology Administrative Support Guide
Declaration statements may be signed digitally. Teachers and students may sign declaration statements by typing their name and date in the relevant boxes.
Edexcel Online Account
To submit work using the Learner Work Transfer (LWT) portal you need a valid Edexcel Online account linked to your centre. If you need to be set up with an Edexcel Online account you must speak to your Exams Officer – they are the only person who can set up your account.
If you have forgotten your Edexcel Online password (or it has expired) you can generate a new one. Your username is usually your email address.
A Level Music
You will need to complete either the PDF or Word version of a PAS and CAS form for each candidate when submitting work for assessment.
AS/A Level Music Technology
Each candidate will need to complete either the PDF or Word version of the logbook for each component and then both yourself and the candidate will need to sign the declaration when submitting work for assessment.
|15 May 2023||Final date for submission of NEA to reach examiners|
|17 May 2023||AS Level Music Technology – 8MT0/03: Listening and analysing exam|
|24 May 2023||A Level Music Technology – 9MT0/03: Listening and analysing exam|
|25 May 2023||AS Level Music Technology – 8MT0/41: Producing and analysing exam|
|8 June 2023||A Level Music Technology – 9MT0/41: Producing and analysing exam|
|12 June 2023||A Level Music – 9MU0/03: Appraising exam|
|17 August 2023||AS/A Level results day|
What are the grade boundaries?
Grade boundaries, which are subject to change each exam series, are published on the website on the grade boundaries page. For summer 2023, they'll be available to download from results day: 17 August 2023.
How do I submit the assessment material?
The Administrative Support Guide explains how to present the material. You will need to upload all material through the Learner Work Transfer (LWT) portal. There are guides on how to use the LWT portal below:
- Learner Work Transfer (LWT) Examination / Moderation: Logging in and navigating - Video Guide
- Learner Work Transfer (LWT): Examination / Moderation Logging in and navigating - Step-by-Step Guide
- Learner Work Transfer (LWT) Examination: Managing Requests - Video Guide
- Learner Work Transfer (LWT) Examination: Managing Requests - Step-By-Step Guide
- GCSE and A Level Music, A Level Music Technology LWT Guidance
Pearson Edexcel Music Training Courses
We would like to hear from teachers about future online training and support materials they would find helpful for delivering our Music qualifications.