April 2023 Construction update
Welcome back to the final term of the year. I hope that the next few weeks can be as stress free as possible for those with multiple deadlines looming. If you ever need to get in touch, please use my details below.
Here is your April 2023 update with all the latest news on our BTEC Construction qualifications.
In this update you will find:
- Tech Award 22 new Exemplar Standardisation Materials
- Tech Award 22 Extension requests for C1 and C2
- Tech Award 22 Getting Started event 10 May
- Update on Component 2 video evidence requirement from September 2023
- Ofqual student guide 2023
- T level summer 2023 series
- Level 3 reforms
- Support and Contact
We have new Exemplar Standardisation Materials (ESMs) for Component 2 and 3 available in the teaching and learning materials section of the qualification page.
These materials are from the January 2023 series and include high, medium and low responses.
We have heard from teachers completing the PSAs for the June moderation series that it's been challenging due to a number of factors.
If your learners are experiencing loss of assessment time you can request an extension
When submitting your request please using the following classifications:
- Request type – Coursework & Controlled/Internal Assessment
- Category – Deadlines & Dates
- Sub Category – Extension to Deadline.
We will be offering a free online Getting Started event for the Tech Award in Construction and the Built Environment on Wednesday 10th May, 4-6pm.
This live session will provide you with an opportunity to interact with the presenter who will take you through:
- Course at a glance– an overview of the qualification structure
- Assessment– the types and requirements along with tips for approaching these
- Grading at component and qualification levels
- Planning your programme
- the ongoing support and resources available to you
We have recently confirmed that from September 2023, the video evidence requirement for Component 2 assessment has been removed. It is however still required for this current series.
Here are some useful tips to help centres to complete the video evidence in this current series.
- ‘Buddying up’ learners and allowing them to film each other, following a dry run/ training session
- Arranging for smaller groups to be videoed at each time
- Setting up cameras at fixed stations and allowing learners to go to each station to perform one specific activity and rotate
- Using Mobile phone cameras if permitted by centre policy
- Other members of staff to help on the day such as technicians
This guide provides students with information about this year’s arrangements for qualifications regulated by Ofqual. It also explains what support is in place when taking exams and assessments.
It's relevant for a student taking any of the following qualifications in 2023:
- AS or A levels
- other general qualifications, including International Baccalaureate, core mathematics and Pre-U
- Technical Qualification (part of a T Level)
- BTEC, Cambridge Technicals and other vocational and technical qualifications (VTQs) taken alongside GCSEs and A levels
T level summer 2023 series Occupational Specialism exams are currently on-going, and all papers are published under the secure tests page, where your exams officer can access them.
Read the latest on level 3 reforms and what to expect in the link below.