New SV sampling process for all centres offering SIA licence-linked qualifications and physical intervention training
This update explains the revised assessment strategy and requirements that are part of the issue of the 2015 suite of SIA licence-linked qualifications.
See the guide and handbook for full details.
The guide reiterates previous requirements for all qualifications, and gives details of additional centre requirements regarding:
- English language prerequisite for learners
- criteria for learning delivery (including mandatory classroom hours and days)
- criteria for trainers involved in the delivery of licence-linked qualifications
- sector competence for approved trainers and annual CPD requirements
- examination venue criteria
- delivery times for units in licence-linked qualifications
- use of role play and scenarios for conflict management and searching
- use of flexible and/or distance learning in the delivery of licence-linked qualifications
- order of delivery of units
- learner identification checking
- reasonable adjustments
- age restrictions for qualifications
- assessment of units in each qualification.
There are also additional requirements specific to individual or groups of programmes:
Additional criteria for delivery of physical intervention training
- Insurance requirement
- Venue requirements
- Rules for the use of physical intervention training programmes (including the use of a programme reapproved for the 2015 specifications)
- Facilities (including ensuring a minimum of three stairs are available for the demonstration of escorting an individual up and down stairs for the physical intervention skills unit).
Additional requirements for the Level 3 Certificate for Working as a Close Protection Operative
- Checking and recording of holding a valid First Aid qualification.
Additional requirements for the delivery of the Level 2 Award for Working as a CCTV Operator
- Centres must have a minimum of a control room environment and a CCTV system with at least two PTZ cameras and associated recording and monitoring equipment.
How does this affect me?
To ensure these requirements are being fully met, all BTEC security programmes offering SIA licence-linked qualifications will be SV sampled during March to August 2015 for delivery of the 2015 qualifications.
For some centres this will mean an additional sample if your programmes were released between September 2014 and February 2015, based on the previous 2010 specifications.
This additional sampling will be a remote sample requiring evidence that all 2015 SIA criteria are being implemented, for:
- Level 2 Award for Working as a CCTV Operator (Public Space Surveillance) within the Private Security Industry
- Level 2 Award for Working as a Vehicle Immobiliser within the Private Security Industry
- Level 3 Certificate for Working as a Close Protection Operative within the Private Security Industry.
There will be an additional visit for all programmes that include physical intervention:
- Level 2 Award for Upskilling a Door Supervisor Working within the Private Security Industry
- Level 2 Award for Working as a Door Supervisor within the Private Security Industry
- Level 3 Deliverers of Physical Intervention Training in the Private Security Industry 2015.
Before a remote sample or visit, your appointed Standards Verifier will send you a visit planner clearly setting out the evidence to be reviewed.
If you have any queries, please speak to your appointed Standards Verifier.