April 2015 update
This month's update includes information on the sector development forum and the new SV sampling process for new security qualifications.
Security Sector Forum: 29 June 2015
We'll be holding a free of charge Security Sector Forum in Oxford on Monday 29 June. As in previous years, the forum will update centres on all qualification developments within the security sector, as well as allowing delegates to network and share best practice.
For more information and to book a place, select 'Sector Development Forums' on our training page.
If there are any topics you'd like us to cover during this event, please contact us.
New SV sampling process for security qualifications
As part of the issue of the 2015 suite of SIA licence-linked qualifications, the SIA has revised its Assessment Strategy and requirements.
Find out more in this SIA document:
For all qualifications this reiterates previous requirements and places additional requirements on centres regarding:
- English Language pre-requisite for learners
- criteria for learning delivery (including mandatory classroom hours and days)
- criteria for trainers involved in the delivery of licence-linked qualifications
- sector competence for approved trainers and annual CPD requirements
- examination venue criteria
- delivery times for units in licence-linked qualifications
- use of role play and scenarios for conflict management and searching
- use of flexible and/or distance learning in the delivery of licence-linked qualifications
- order of delivery of units
- learner identification checking
- reasonable adjustments
- age restrictions for qualifications
- assessment of units in each qualification.
There are additional requirements specific to individual or groups of programmes.
Additional criteria for delivery of Physical Intervention training
- Insurance requirements
- Venue requirements
- Rules for the use of Physical Intervention training programmes (including the use of a programme reapproved for the 2015 specifications)
- Facilities (including ensuring a minimum of three stairs are available for the demonstration of escorting an individual up and down stairs for the physical intervention skills unit).
Additional requirements for Level 3 Certificate for Working as a Close Protection Operative
- Checking and recording of holding a valid First Aid qualification.
Additional requirements for delivery of Level 2 Award for Working as a CCTV Operator
- Centres must have a minimum of a control room environment and a CCTV system with at least two PTZ cameras and associated recording and monitoring equipment.
To ensure these requirements are being fully implemented, all BTEC security programmes offering SIA licence-linked qualifications will be SV sampled for delivery of the 2015 qualifications between March and August 2015. For some centres, this will mean an additional sample if your programmes were released between September 2014 and February 2015 based on the previous (2010) specifications.
This additional sampling will be a remote sample requiring evidence that all 2015 SIA criteria are being implemented for:
- Level 2 Award for Working as a CCTV Operator
- Level 2 Award for Working as a Vehicle Immobiliser within the Private Security Industry
- Level 3 Certificate for Working as a Close Protection Operative.
There will be an additional visit for all programmes that include Physical Intervention:
- Level 2 Award for Upskilling a Door Supervisor Working within the Private Security Industry
- Level 2 Award for Working as a Door Supervisor within the Private Security Industry
- Level 3 Deliverers of Physical Intervention Training in the Private Security Industry 2015.
Before a remote sample or visit, your appointed Standards Verifier will send a visit planner clearly setting out the evidence to be reviewed. If you have any queries, please discuss with your appointed Standards Verifier.