New subject content for GCSE, AS and A level in Religious Studies
New subject content has been published by the Department for Education for GCSE, AS and A level qualifications in Religious Studies.
These new specifications will be taught from September 2016. The first AS assessments will take place in summer 2017 and the first GCSE and A level assessments will take place in summer 2018.
View the GCSE RS subject content
View the AS and A level RS subject content
Summary of the DfE’s subject content
- At least half of the GCSE will be spent developing knowledge and understanding of 2 religions.
- The option to spend up to three quarters of the GCSE time studying 1 of the 2 religions.
- The opportunity to study themes in relation to textual studies and/or religious, philosophical and ethical studies in the modern world.
AS and A level
- All students must develop knowledge and a critical understanding of religious thought, belief and practice in relation to at least one religion.
- Requirement to study 3 approaches from a choice of 4:
- Systematic study of one religion
- Philosophy of religion
- Religion and ethics
- Textual studies
We would like to keep you informed about the changes to Edexcel’s GCSE, AS and A level RS specifications, so please sign up to receive our Religious Studies qualification updates.
The Religious Studies Team