Consultations on new GCSE and A level Religious Studies qualifications
We would encourage you to review the proposals and have your say on the DfE and Ofqual consultations on new GCSE and A level Religious Studies qualifications.
The DfE launched its consultation on the revised subject content for GCSE and A level Religious Studies for first teaching from September 2016. The consultation closes on 29 December 2014.
- Option to study the beliefs, teachings and sources of wisdom and authority for 2 different religions
- Option to study 1 primary religion in depth and the beliefs, teachings and sources of wisdom and authority for a 2nd religion
- Specifications will require students to demonstrate knowledge of the diversity of religious beliefs in Great Britain
- Opportunity to study optional themes in relation to textual studies and religious, philosophical and ethical studies in the modern world.
Ofqual is consulting on its assessment arrangements for GCSE and A level Religious Studies qualifications in parallel. The Ofqual consultation closes on 5 January 2015.
- Exam only assessment for GCSE, AS and A level Religious Studies
- Proposed assessment objectives that specify more clearly the core abilities for religious studies
- Assessment objectives that promote comparability through the use of fixed weightings rather than ranges
- Different assessment objective weightings for AS and A level qualifications to help promote differentiation.
The Religious Studies Team