Redeveloping BTEC Firsts in Public Services
We're thinking about redeveloping the BTEC Level 2 Firsts in Public Services and would value your feedback.
Changes to the vocational qualifications recognised in Key Stage 4 performance tables, and the withdrawal of Principal Learning in Public Services qualifications, mean there is currently a gap in recognition of Public Services qualifications at level 2.
We're considering redeveloping the BTEC Level 2 Firsts in Public Services with a view to submitting to the DfE for consideration for the 2016 Key Stage 4 headline measures list. This will mean they would be available for first teaching in September 2014.
We'd like your feedback to help give us the evidence we need to decide if this is the appropriate measure to take. If redeveloped, the next generation BTEC Firsts in Public Services will:
- be at least 120 GLH (guided learning hours)
- include two core units, each of 30 Guided Learning Hours (GLH), which underpin the fundamental knowledge and understanding for the sector
- include up to 25% external assessment (externally set and marked by Pearson)
- be developed on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
The qualification developed will need to allow learners to:
- develop a broad and comprehensive understanding of the public services sector, while the acquisition of specialist knowledge and/or practical skills should be limited
- acquire a significant knowledge core which spans the public services sector, as well as academic and study skills that will support progression within the area of study and more broadly.
To give us your feedback, take part in our short survey.