Getting Ready for Results Day
Access key information and guidance for the Summer 2023 results period for GCSE and A level PE, including key dates, details of post-results services and grade boundaries.
This summer saw a return to the full examination requirements for the first time since 2019 and we fully appreciate the hard work which students have put into their studies and revision. On behalf of the Pearson Edexcel PE team, we want to thank everyone in schools and colleges for your dedication in supporting students and helping to make sure they achieve the grades they deserve. We wish you and your students a well-deserved break over the summer, and the best of luck on results day.
Results days: Key dates
||Exam session||Results to centres||Results to students|
|AS/A level||Summer 23||16/08/2023||17/08/2023|
The results documents available for Exams Officers to download in Edexcel online are:
- Broadsheets (CSV/PDF) - shows all summer results
- Component mark list (CSV/PDF) - shows the paper marks, paper weighting, overall marks and grades awarded to candidates by subject (linear qualifications) or unit (modular qualifications).
- Contributing units report (CSV/PDF) - shows how individual units have contributed to cash-in grades for modular qualifications.
- Candidate statement of provisional results (CSPRs) - (PDF) - a statement of results per candidate which includes overall grades, and contributing units for modular subjects.
You can access Summer 2023 grade boundaries on our website from results day. In addition to the official grade boundaries that are produced at subject level, we will also be providing notional grade boundaries at paper level. These can help you mark and assess future mocks.
Availability of Summer 2023 Question Papers, Mark Schemes and Examiner Reports
Exam materials from the Summer 2023 exam series will be made available on our website (secure download) on the following dates:
|Assessment materials||Date of availability on website|
|Question Papers||Tuesday 4 July|
|Mark Schemes||Tuesday 18 July|
|GCE Examiner Reports||Tuesday 22 August (available on ResultsPlus from Results Day)|
|GCSE Examiner Reports||Tuesday 29 August (available on ResultsPlus from Results Day)|
ResultsPlus - our online results analysis tool
ResultsPlus is our free online results analysis tool, that gives you a detailed breakdown of your students’ performance in Pearson Edexcel exams.
It provides you with the most detailed analysis available of your students’ performance. ResultsPlus will help you to identify topics and skills where your students could benefit from further learning – helping them gain a deeper understanding of their subject.
Teachers can sign into ResultsPlus using their Edexcel Online username and password if their account profile has ResultsPlus access granted by the Exams Officer.
Examiner Reports can be obtained from ResultsPlus on results day by following the steps below:
- Log into Results Plus using your Edexcel Online details
- Once you are logged in under your centre, select 'ResultsPlus Analysis'.
- Then select 'Whole cohort results' followed by 'Cohort paper analysis'.
- Select the relevant qualification and series, eg 'GCE' and 'June 2023', followed by the relevant subject and 'View paper analysis'.
- Select 'Exam docs' and you will find the Examiner Report for that component.
Individual moderator reports for A level coursework (NEA)
From results day you can download centre-specific moderator feedback for your coursework components:
- Log in to Edexcel Online. If you've forgotten your password you can generate a reminder by selecting 'forgot password'.
- Click on ‘home’.
- Select ‘GCE’ from the qualification drop down on the left.
- Hover over ‘Results’ and select ‘Moderator Reports’.
- Select ‘June 2023’ from the ‘Select a Session’ dropdown.
- Select your A level coursework component from the subject dropdown.
- ‘Moderator Report’ will self-select.
- Click ‘submit’.
- Your moderator’s report will appear in your Edexcel Online mailbox within 30 minutes.
You must have 'Results' selected in your Edexcel Online profile to download your centre's moderator report. Please ask your Exams Officer if you need this adding to your Edexcel Online profile.
Access to Scripts
You can also use our free Access to Scripts service to view your candidates’ marked exam scripts online or download as a PDF. It is available from results day until the 15 December 2023.
Providing a rich source of information, you can use this service to help make decisions about requesting a review of marking, but it can also help inform future teaching and learning and gives insights and visibility that performance data alone cannot provide.
If scripts have been marked ‘traditionally’ (ie not online), you will need to request them, free of charge, by 15 December 2023, via the Post Results section of Edexcel Online as in previous exam series.
Note, you will need 'Exam viewer' in your Edexcel Online profile if you want to download candidate scripts from results day. Please ask your Exams Officer if you need this adding to your profile.
Discover more about Access to Scripts, along with FAQs and a step-by-step User Guide.
See how teachers have been using Access to Scripts
"An excellent service, we have used it to inform our teaching"
Take a look at the Access to Scripts case studies to see how a number of schools and colleges have been using this service to evaluate how their students performed in the exams, identify skills gaps, help tailor future teaching plans and to develop staff CPD.
Please note, candidate consent is required before requesting script copies, as per section 4.2 of the JCQ's Post-results services guide. Candidate consent can only be obtained after results have been published.
Post-results support services
If you're not happy with your students' results this summer, you should take the following steps:
- View the grade boundaries, question papers, mark schemes and examiner reports for the paper/qualification concerned.
- View your students’ scripts using our free access to scripts service.
- Log in to ResultsPlus to see how your students have performed on every question and compare their performance to the national average.
- If you are still unhappy with your students' results, you may apply for a review of marking via our post-results services.
Full details of all our post-results services are available on our website.
The deadline for requesting a Review of marking and moderation (ROMM) is 28 September 2023 for GCSE and A level.
How to apply for post-results services
Please speak to your Exams Officer if you wish to proceed with a review of marking. Exams officers should contact their Centre Account Specialist on 0344 463 2535 if they require guidance or watch our post results video. All applications for reviews of marking must be submitted through Edexcel Online.
Post-results support for students
We have a dedicated web page for student post-results support. Please forward this link to your students where they can find information on the services for students.
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of a review of marking, you may wish to appeal against the decision. We will allow the head of centre (or designated member of the centre’s senior management team or examinations manager) 30 calendar days from the receipt of the outcome of the review of marking, during which an appeal may be lodged by sending an email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. There is further guidance on appeals on our website.
Applications for appeals may only be accepted from a head of centre (on behalf of a candidate or a group of candidates) or private candidates. See the JCQ appeals booklet, 46 & 47.
I hope you found this update useful however please email me at email@example.com if you have any questions.