Ever wondered how the whole assessment process works? Take a look at our series of short videos that shine a light on the assessment process to help students, parents, carers and teachers understand how the exam process works.
Summer 2023 support
On this page we’ll provide updates and information from Ofqual and the Department for Education (DfE) relating to the summer 2023 exam arrangements for GCSE, AS and A level.
Ofqual and DfE arrangements for summer 2023
On 29 September 2022 Ofqual and the DfE confirmed the arrangements for exams and grading in summer 2023.
- Ofqual has published an article setting out their approach to grading for 2023. Ofqual’s aim for those sitting exams and assessments in 2023 is to return to results in line with those in pre-pandemic years, as the next step in getting back to normal.
Read the Ofqual article
- The DfE has published a statement setting out their decisions on adaptations for exams in 2023. DfE has decided students will continue to be provided with support in GCSE mathematics, physics and combined science with formulae and equation sheets, In light of this, Ofqual launched a consultation on these plans. The consultation has now closed and we will update you on the outcome as soon as this becomes available.
Read the DfE statement
Take a look at the Ofqual consultation
- The DfE has decided students taking GCSEs, AS and A levels will not be provided with advance information on the focus of exams next summer.
- The DfE and Ofqual are jointly consulting on guidance to schools and colleges about gathering assessment evidence to support resilience in the general qualifications system. The guidance proposes schools and colleges gather evidence in a way that aligns with their normal arrangements for preparing students for exams. The consultation has now closed and we will update you on the outcome as soon as this becomes available.
Take a look at the joint DfE and Ofqual consultation
- The DfE and Ofqual are both consulting separately on plans to remove the expectation that students engage with unfamiliar and abstract material, such as unfamiliar vocabulary, within modern foreign language (MFL) GCSE assessments from 2023 onwards. DfE’s consultation covers the curriculum, while Ofqual’s consultation covers exam content and how it is assessed. Both consultations have now closed and we will update you on the outcomes as soon as they become available.
Read the DfE’s consultation on modern foreign languages curriculum
Take a look at the Ofqual consultation on modern foreign languages exam content
Summer 2023 final exam timetables
Our summer 2023 exam timetables have now been finalised.
The exam timetables for summer 2023 seek to maintain some of the space built into the exam timetables in 2022 between the first and last exams in the same subject. This spacing was well received by schools and colleges in 2022 and reduces the chance of students missing all exams in a subject due to circumstances such as illness.
Year round support
We'll keep this web page up to date with any further information from Ofqual, DfE and JCQ about summer 2023 and provide news and information in the regular Pearson qualifications bulletin. For subject-specific support, please do stay in touch with your subject advisors and you can also contact us directly if you have any other queries.