We provide a clear learning-programme solution to take apprentices from entry through to gateway. We understand that providing apprentices with an engaging and stimulating learning programme is key to a successful result.
You can use our on-programme offer regardless of whether you are using Pearson as your end-point assessment provider.
Whether mandatory or optional, our qualifications, including Functional Skills in maths and English, will help you support your learners to develop and demonstrate relevant work-based skills and behaviours.
Our on-programme qualifications offer is specific to the individual standard. Not all standards will include an on-programme offer from Pearson. This is because the apprenticeship standard may or may not have a qualification that is mandatory for apprentices to achieve as part of their apprenticeship.
Some apprenticeship standards mandate a qualification for all apprentices to complete as a part of the on-programme learning and development.
A mandated qualification may be:
- competence-based, covering the full standard
- technical type, covering primarily the knowledge and transferable skills of the standard
- small award size qualification that provides the knowledge and/or skills to meet a specific regulatory requirement.
Where there is a mandatory qualification for an apprenticeship standard, it is clearly signposted on the on-programme page.
Where a qualification is not mandated as part of an apprenticeship, employers and training providers can still choose to use one to help to deliver the on-programme training.
Standard-specific optional qualifications:
Optional qualifications specifically based on apprenticeship standards are aimed at supporting employers and training providers in training, developing, and assessing apprentices.
- qualifications mapped to the knowledge and transferable skills of the standards and designed to specifically support off-the-job training
- qualifications mapped to the full standards, covering all the knowledge, skills and behaviours and designed to support both off-the-job and on-the-job training.
Existing mapped qualifications:
For some standards, where a standard-specific qualification is not available, training providers and employers still have the option to offer existing regulated qualifications that have been mapped to show coverage of the apprenticeship standards.
Where we offer an optional qualification for an apprenticeship standard, whether standard-specific or an existing mapped qualification, it is clearly signposted on the on-programme page.
English and maths is a mandatory part of the on-programme offer for apprenticeship standards.
It is essential to achieve English and maths qualifications as part of the standard. The level of achievement differs from one standard to another (Level 1, Level 2 or GCSE level) and Pearson has a range of English and maths qualifications on offer.
Why choose Pearson's standard-specific optional qualifications?
For training providers and employers, our optional qualifications:
- provide greater breadth and transferability to the on-programme learning and help create the foundation for learners to develop and demonstrate relevant work-based skills and behaviours
- provide you with detailed, unitised content and help you implement a sound structure for delivery to ensure that apprentices achieve high-quality, transferable outcomes
- offer content that is mapped to the apprenticeship standards, giving you the confidence that learners are developing the knowledge, skills and behaviours (KSBs) needed to carry out their job
- include recommended assessments for the knowledge units, therefore reducing the assessment burden. In addition, guidance on assessment is provided for skills-based units
- allow you to use successfully completed assessments to support gateway sign-off, making the process less onerous for learners and employers
- provide supporting evidence to meet the 20% off-the-job training requirement.
For apprentices, our optional qualifications:
- enable them to develop the technical concepts, principles, standards and practices related to their job role in a coherent but flexible way to meet their needs
- give them the opportunity to explore relevant behaviours and learn how they can develop and nurture these in the workplace
- help develop their ability to apply their technical knowledge and skills to their employment context
- provide them with an opportunity to gather evidence that, in some apprenticeships, contributes to EPA, e.g. portfolio-based interview and professional discussions
- include assessments designed to support their readiness, plus boost their confidence for EPA
- allow them to attain a recognised qualification that can support entry into employment or access to progression opportunities in the event they do not achieve the apprenticeship certification.
Our range of paid-for digital and print learning content is mapped to apprenticeship standards. We have developed these resources to support trainers, employers and learners throughout their on-programme learning as well as offer a package of online and print materials to help practice and prepare for end-point assessment (EPA).
These resources are independent of Pearson's end-point assessment service. Choosing Pearson as the end-point assessment organisation (EPAO) for a standard is not conditional on access or purchase of these resources.
Digital resources - Learning Hub
Learning Hub is a digital learning platform offering bite-size and mobile-optimised learning content providing skills-training for learners that is relevant, modular and flexible. Our dynamic range of learning content supports apprenticeships, employee development and skills training.
Apprenticeship handbooks provide apprentices with all the support they need throughout the on-programme component of their apprenticeship. These course companions include the knowledge required for that standard along with EPA specification, skills training and developing appropriate behaviours in the workplace.
EPA practise and prepare resources
Our EPA practise and prepare support provides educators with a suite of resources that help prepare apprentices for their EPA. They include multiple-choice questions, synoptic tests, videos, activity sheets and powerpoint presentations - all designed to enhance knowledge and/or hone essential skills required.
English and maths resources
We can offer a wide range of English and maths qualifications in line with your standards’ requirements, from Functional Skills through to GCSEs.