June 2023 History Subject Update
This update contains useful information, news and advice for Edexcel History teachers.
Edexcel GCSE History Paper 1 Medicine: update for teachers and students
This is an update for teachers and students following the Edexcel GCSE History Medicine in Britain paper taken on 18 May 2023.
Exam wellbeing support
Every student’s experience of exams is different, and we understand that preparing for and sitting exams can be overwhelming. If you haven’t seen it already, our Exam Wellbeing Hub is available to support students and their families through every step of the exam journey – from revision and exam day through to results day. Alongside guidance and top tips, there are also details of charities and organisations that can help with mental health and wellbeing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Plus, our Wellbeing Zone is also available all year round to support teachers, students and family with mental health and wellbeing.
Availability of Summer 2023 assessment materials
The assessment materials from this Summer’s exam series will be released on our website on the following dates:
- Question Papers: Tuesday 4 July
- Mark Schemes: Tuesday 18 July
- GCE Examiner Reports: Tuesday 22 August
- GCSE Examiner Reports: Tuesday 29 August
GCSE History New to Edexcel training
We are running training for teachers who are moving to our GCSE History specification or teaching it for the first time. The events take place on the following dates:
- Pearson Edexcel GCSE History: New to Edexcel - 05 July 2023 at 16:00 - 18:00 GMT
- Pearson Edexcel GCSE History: New to Edexcel - 06 September 2023 at 16:00 - 18:00 GMT
GCSE History Summer 2023 Feedback training
We will be running GCSE History Summer 2023 Feedback training in the Autumn term on the following date (a recorded version will also be made available on our website):
- Pearson Edexcel GCSE History: Summer 2023 Feedback - 03 October 2023 at 16:00 - 18:00 GMT
International GCSE History New to Edexcel training
We are running training for new Edexcel International GCSE History teachers in the Autumn term. The training will take place over two sessions on the following dates:
- Pearson Edexcel International GCSE History: Welcome to Pearson (Module 1) - 04 October 2023 at 13:00 - 15:00 GMT
- Pearson Edexcel International GCSE History: Welcome to Pearson (Module 2) - 18 October 2023 at 13:00 - 15:00 GMT
A level History Autumn term training events
In the Autumn term we are running the following training events for Edexcel A level History teachers:
- Pearson Edexcel A Level History: New to Edexcel - 20 September 2023 at 16:00 - 18:00 GMT
- Pearson Edexcel A Level History: Summer 2023 Feedback - 04 October 2023 at 16:00 - 17:30 GMT
- Pearson Edexcel A Level History: Coursework Marking Training – Module 4: Live Q&A Session - 23 November 2023 at 16:00 - 18:00 GMT
Teaching South African history at A level: building subject knowledge and confidence
We recently sponsored a session at the Historical Association’s 2023 conference in collaboration with the Anti-Apartheid Legacy on Teaching South African History at A level. You can now download the slides and delegate booklet from our website:
National Archives: Commonwealth migration since 1945
The National Archives website contains a collection of original documents which can be used to support teaching our GCSE Migrants in Britain thematic study.
Celebrating 75 years of Windrush
On Saturday 24 June the Migration Museum in Lewisham is hosting a day-long festival to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Windrush, featuring music, performance, storytelling, interactive talks, workshops and more - led by artists, creatives and organisations with lived experience as holders of the legacy of the Windrush Generation.
The Historical Association’s website also contains some fantastic resources on Windrush for schools.
Pearson also have a KS3 worksheet and poster on Windrush as part of our History Topic of the Month series: