International Advanced Levels About Edexcel International Advanced Levels
Learn what Pearson Edexcel International Advanced Level qualifications are and what you can go on to do once you've achieved them.
What are International Advanced Levels?
Pearson Edexcel International Advanced Levels have been developed in consultation with educators, including teachers and university lecturers, to be relevant for international learners and support progression to universities around the world.
They differ from A levels in that they have a flexible, modular structure, but maintain the rigorous standards of all Pearson Edexcel qualifications and are comparable to the UK A Level, as confirmed by NARIC. All subjects (except Law and IT) offer January, June and October examination windows, giving students more options when applying to local and international universities.
In 2018 we launched 8 updated subjects – Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business, Economics, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Pure Mathematics and also a brand new Information Technology qualification, which our schools started teaching in September 2018.
IAL qualifications are not available in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or in British Armed Forces schools overseas.
Progress to University
Pearson Edexcel IAL qualifications are recognised by leading universities across the world - including Oxford, Cambridge, Columbia, Yale, MIT, Caltech, Hong Kong / China University of Science and Technology and the National University of Singapore.
They provide learners with access to the world’s top universities and prestigious employment opportunities.
Learn more about progression opportunities by visiting our Progress to University page.
Our qualifications are popular with teachers and learners alike for many reasons, including:
- They are the most modular International Advanced Levels - with exams spread throughout the course, they offer choice and flexibility for exam success and revision is broken down into unit-sized chunks, enabling learners to focus their revision on fewer exams at a time.
- Internationally relevant content allows learning in a context that international students will find more engaging. 100% external assessment.
- Multiple examination options in January, June and October, where appropriate, plus the opportunity to resit units.
- Globally recognised qualifications - IAL qualifications are recognised by top local and international universities around the world.
- Explicitly signposted transferable skills ensure students understand the skills they are developing as part of their studies, which adds value to their progression to university and their future career.
IALs are currently available in 21 popular subjects:
- Applied ICT
- Business Studies
- English Language
- English Literature
- Further Mathematics
- Pure Mathematics
Edexcel International AS (Advanced Subsidiary) qualifications are offered in the same subjects but contain half the content of an Edexcel International Advanced Level. Learners can either study AS as a stand-alone qualification or as a stage towards completing an International Advanced Level, allowing them to study a broader range of subjects before deciding which ones to take forward.
According to independent benchmarking by UK NARIC, the UK’s national agency for providing information, advice and expert opinion on qualifications worldwide, Edexcel International Advanced Levels ‘can be considered comparable to the overall GCE A level standard’ offered in the UK. Read the executive summary of UK NARIC’s report.
Edexcel International Advanced Level qualifications are already recognised by many leading universities in the UK and internationally. You can find the growing list of universities accepting these qualifications in the documents on this page.
Where can I find out more?
To find out more about the differences between A levels and International Advanced Levels in general and for each subject, read the FAQs.