Centres needed to deliver new Healthcare Science qualifications
Pearson’s new unique qualifications in Healthcare Science have been welcomed by the NHS and have generated a lot of interest from potential learners and their employers.
We anticipate a large number of registrations over the next few months.
If you are a Pearson centre approved to deliver any of the following qualifications, you may also apply for approval for the new Healthcare Science qualifications:
- Clinical Healthcare Support
- Healthcare Support Services
- Emergency Care Assistance
- Maternity and Paediatric Support
- Perioperative Support
- Allied Health Profession Support
- Pathology Support
- Laboratory Science
- Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities
To apply for approval to deliver the Healthcare Science qualifications, please contact your account manager or follow the link below, selecting the UK work-based learning link:
Funding for the new qualifications
We have applied to the Skills Funding Agency for adult learner funding for the two new qualifications from August 2015.
Summary of the new qualifications
- 601/5721/5 Pearson BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Introduction to Healthcare Science
- 601/5722/7 Pearson BTEC Level 4 Certificate in Healthcare Science
These qualifications have been developed as a result of the Modernising Scientific Careers project established by the Department of Health to ensure that the healthcare science workforce will be fit to respond to future scientific and technological advances.
Both qualifications are ideal for people who are new to roles in Healthcare Science, or for those who are aiming for a career in Healthcare Science.
Pearson BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Introduction to Healthcare Science
This qualification is aimed at Healthcare Science Assistants. Learners will complete the following 5 units totalling 14 credits:
- Healthcare Science Services
- Employee Rights, Responsibilities and Personal Development in Healthcare Science
- Working in Partnership in Healthcare Science
- Investigating, Treating and Managing Human Disease and Disorder
- Working Safely in the Healthcare Science Environment
This is a work-based qualification that combines competence and technical knowledge to give learners the practical competencies, technical skills and sector-related knowledge they need to be able to carry out their job effectively. This qualification is aimed at Healthcare Science Assistants.
Pearson BTEC Level 4 Certificate in Healthcare Science
This is a BTEC Professional qualification aimed at Healthcare Science Associates. Learners will complete the following 5 units totalling 15 credits:
- Applying the Scientific Method in Healthcare Science Research
- Working within the Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Context of Healthcare Science
- Working in Partnership with Service Users, Colleagues and Other Professionals
- Investigating, Diagnosing, Treating and Managing Human Disease and Disorders
- Safety, Security and Wellbeing in the Healthcare Science Environment
Both qualifications are assessed internally though centre-devised assessments.
The full specifications are on the Pearson Qualifications website.
Link to Apprenticeships
Work is underway by Health Education England to develop a Trailblazer Apprenticeship in Healthcare Science. It is anticipated that the two new BTECs will form the mandatory components of Diplomas at Level 2 and Level 4 within the future apprenticeship framework.