Summer 2021 exam series: GCSE and A level
Thank you for waiting patiently for the details of how the outcomes of the Ofqual consultation on 2021 exams will affect Edexcel English GCSEs and A levels in summer 2021.
GCSE English Literature (1ET0)
We have eased the burden of teaching all four sections of the exam and made the two sections in Paper 2 optional.
For 2021, students will:
- sit Paper 1: Shakespeare and post-1914 Literature – this remains a compulsory exam
- for Paper 2: 19th-century Novel OR Poetry since 1789 there is a choice of two options. Students sit either the 19th-century Novel or Poetry since 1789 section of this paper
This means that students sitting GCSE English Literature in 2021, will study three of the four texts available.
For 2021, there will be two different entry codes depending on which option you choose:
- entry code 1ET0 N = Shakespeare, post-1914 Literature and 19th-century novel
- entry code 1ET0 P = Shakespeare, post-1914 Literature and Poetry since 1789
GCSE English Language (1EN0)
As in summer 2020, SLE grades will not be monitored in 2021, therefore you will not be required to submit a sample of recordings. Please submit your students’ SLE grades in the normal way, via Edexcel Online.
We continue to accept the following arrangements:
- a SLE presentation may be given in front of a single teacher, who can represent ‘the audience’. The SLE may be conducted by the teacher at any time during the course and by virtual means
- both the assessment record sheets, and the Head of Centre Declaration may be signed digitally. These should be retained by the centre
A level English Literature, English Language and English Language and Literature
There are no changes to these qualifications for summer 2021.
We will not be issuing new specifications to reflect the temporary changes to GCSE English Literature but there is a dedicated summer 2021 support page on our website.
I hope that these changes will help you to help the students who have lost out on face-to-face teaching in the last academic year.
If you teach International GCSEs, I will be in touch as soon as possible with information about summer 2021 exams. There are no changes to IAL English Language or Literature exams in summer 2021.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.