Edexcel GCSE Arabic (2017)
Here, you'll find everything you need to prepare for GCSE Arabic from 2017 (first assessment from 2019) including our accredited specification and sample assessment materials.
We’ve carried out research with teachers and students to ensure we offer you qualifications and support that you can have confidence in.
Our qualifications are designed to enable all students to meet their potential, communicate confidently and support progression.
We've embedded cultural and authentic material throughout this qualification with topics that you have told us you enjoy teaching - giving students a sense of purpose to language learning.
- Qualification type:
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
- Level 1/2
- Accreditation status:
- Specification codes:
- UK and international
- First teaching:
- First assessment:
GCSE languages 2017: What's changing
- The new 9-1 grading system will replace A*-G, and there will no longer be any controlled assessment. All papers will be set and marked by the awarding organisation.
- Papers will be tiered, with 25% assessment weightings per skill (listening, speaking, reading, writing).
- Compulsory topics will be linked to identity and culture; local, national, international and global areas of interest; and current and future study and employment.
- Papers will include:
- short translations from and into the target language
- some target-language questions in the reading and listening papers*
- authentic stimuli in the reading paper, including literary texts
* Languages using logographic systems such as Mandarin Chinese and Japanese must set all questions and task instructions in English, as the sole use of hanzi or kanji is deemed too challenging for this level.
Get the latest information on our new Arabic qualification.
Free Conducting the speaking exam event
This generic online event is designed for teachers teaching the new Pearson Edexcel GCSE 9-1 languages in Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Urdu (first teaching 2017) with a particular focus on the speaking element.
If you don’t have an Pearson Edexcel Online account, you can book by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting Ready to Teach?
We'll provide support for you to plan and deliver the new GCSE in Arabic. Whatever guidance you're looking for, we're here to help.