December 2015 work-based learning and colleges update: Public services sector
This month's public services sector update includes information on the new Level 3 Diploma in Policing.
Level 3 Diploma in Policing updated
The College of Policing has recently updated the Initial Police Learning and Developing Programme. As a result, the Level 3 Diploma in Policing has also been updated to reflect the changes. The new qualification will be available and replace the current qualification with effect from 1 January 2016.
The following 10 units are all mandatory within the new Diploma in Policing:
- Plan, implement and review an evidence-based preventative policing approach
- Support victims, witnesses and vulnerable people
- Manage conflict situations in policing
- Use police powers to deal with suspects
- Conduct police searches
- Handle information and intelligence that can support law enforcement
- Provide an initial response to policing incidents
- Conduct priority and volume investigations
- Interview victims and witnesses in relation to priority and volume investigations
- Interview suspects in relation to priority and volume investigations.
Level 3 Certificate in Knowledge of Policing
The Level 3 Certificate in Knowledge of Policing will also be updated to reflect the changes to the IPLDP and the Level 3 Diploma in Policing. The current qualification is due to expire on 30 November 2016. We are discussing an early implementation of the updated qualification with the College of Policing, and will make information available to centres as soon as we can.