May 2016 work-based learning and colleges update
This month's update has information about the approval of the Standards and Assessment Plan for Healthcare Science Assistant by BIS, and our launch events.
Standards and Assessment Plan approved
The Plan for Healthcare Science Assistant has been approved by BIS.
This apprenticeship covers job roles within the following areas:
- Life Sciences – Pathology Investigations of Disease and Disorder
- Physiological Sciences – Clinical Investigation of Human Functions and Systems
- Physical Sciences – Medical Physics and Clinical Biomedical Engineering
We're working with the Trailblazer Group and a number of employers to develop the qualification that will assess the standards part of the Apprenticeship. The qualification will be called Pearson BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Science and includes units covering the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to work as a Healthcare Science Assistant in any of the Healthcare Science specialisms.
We currently offer the Pearson BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Introduction to Healthcare Science.
The certificate consists of 5 mandatory units. These 5 units will make up the mandatory group in the new Diploma, so the Certificate can be used as a stepping stone onto the Diploma.
The Level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Science is due to go operationally live on 1 September 2016.
Healthcare Science Assistant Apprenticeship launch events
We're holding launch events on the following dates:
21 June – Birmingham
23 June – Manchester
30 June – London
This event is for anyone who is interested in knowing more about the new Healthcare Science Assistant (Level 2) Apprenticeship that will be available from 1 September 2016.
The event will cover:
- how the new Trailblazer Apprenticeships are developed
- the structure of the new apprenticeships compared to current SASE apprenticeships
- the Healthcare Science Assistant (Level 2) Apprenticeship and its components
- an in-depth look at the qualification that Pearson has developed for the on-programme element, including delivery and assessment
- an explanation of End-Point Assessment and what this means for your organisation and your apprentices
- other apprenticeships in Healthcare Science.
If you're interested in attending this event, speak to your account manager or book here.