Engineering update April 2017
Changes to the Engineering Level 3 Apprenticeship Standards
The following Apprenticeship standards were withdrawn from the website on the 31 March 2017 and are no longer available for registrations:
- Mechatronics Maintenance Technician
- Product Design and Development Technician
- Engineering Technical Support
- Toolmaker and Tool & Die Technician
- Aerospace Manufacturing Fitter
- Aerospace Electrical/Mechanical and Systems Fitter
- Aircraft Maintenance Fitter/Technician (Fixed and Rotary Wing)
- Airworthiness Planning, Quality and Safety TechnicianMaritime Electrical Fitter
- Maritime Mechanical Fitter
- Maritime Fabricator
- Maritime Pipeworker
These standards are now included in a new Engineering standard – ‘Engineering Technician’. These occupations within the new standard remain identical with the same on programme and end point requirements.
Grouping most Engineering Apprenticeship Standards ensures that:
- learners can transfer between occupations as individual skills development and employer demands require without affecting success rates
- ensure consistency of delivery and qualifications across the occupations
- to ensure that learners receive the highest level of training and support required to be successful in their future roles, as well as ensuring a rounded delivery of ‘core’ engineering knowledge to ensure transferability of skills as needed.
All the occupations listed in this standard are approved for delivery with a top level funding cap of £27000 (from May 2017).
Additional occupations will be added to this standard (i.e. Manufacturing Fitter) as they are developed by the employer groups.
The existing Level 6 standards will also move into this new 'grouped format' with the introduction of at least two Level 2 standards for a Manufacturing Operative and an Engineering Operative.
These standards are designed for individuals working in a level 2 semi-skilled role and are not designed as a ‘stepping stone’ to Level 3. The foundation phase of the Level 3 will remain a mandatory requirement and will not be the same as the skills, knowledge and behavioural requirements required for the Level 2 occupations.
Pearson have an on-programme offer for many of the occupations listed above and the full list of qualifications available can be obtained from your account representative.
If you have any other questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org