April 2016 work-based learning and colleges update: Childcare sector
Tue Apr 26 11:00:00 UTC 2016Read more
This month's update includes information on the 30 hours free childcare consultation, Residential Childcare Level 3 Diploma Clarification on structure and Early Years new apprenticeship standards.
Publication of 30 hours free childcare consultation
The Government invites views on how they should provide an extended entitlement of up to 30 hours free childcare for working parents of 3- and 4-year- olds.
They are seeking views on:
- how local authorities should work with childcare providers to provide the entitlement
- how we meet the needs of working parents
- provision for children with special education needs and disabilities
- how local authorities tell parents about locally available childcare
- how local authorities would operate a ‘grace period’ (what happens if a parent loses their eligibility for the entitlement).
This consultation closes at 5pm on 6 June 2016.
Residential Childcare Level 3 Diploma: clarification on structure
To achieve this qualification learners must complete a minimum of 61 credits, including:
- 53 credits from the 16 mandatory units in Group A, and
- a minimum of 8 credits from three optional units in Group B.
Early Years Trailblazer
New standards will be developed by the employer group for the following roles in an early years setting:
- Assistant early years practitioner Level 2
- Assistant equalities named coordinator Level 3
- Lead equalities named coordinator Level 3
- Senior early years practitioner Level 4
- Quality improvement leader Level 4
- Health & wellbeing leader Level 4
- Early years centre leader Level 5
- Service leader Level 5.