AS and A level Politics specification changes
7 October 2022Read more
The AS and A level specifications and sample assessment materials have been updated with some minor amendments.
You can download the updated versions of the specification here:
These new issues are for first teaching September 2022 and first assessment Summer 2023.
Please refer to the 'Guidance for Teachers' document for the full details.
Below is a summary of the changes:
- Source booklets have been added to AS and A level Papers 1 and 2. This will make it easier for students to refer to the sources when writing their answers, and copies the approach taken in GCE History.
- References to the European Union have been amended following the DfE’s updated subject content (May 2022). The amendments apply to AS and A level Paper 2 UK Government content and clarify how the EU should be considered in the context of this component now that the UK has left the EU.
- Section 1.1 - The European Communities Act (1972) has been deleted.
- Section 4.3 - the first bullet point has been changed to remove reference to social policy; the second and third bullet points have been amended and combined to read: 'The impact of leaving the EU on UK Parliamentary sovereignty in relation to policy making.'
- The EU guidance document (available on the qualification page under 'guide'), which also explores the broader relevance of the EU to contemporary British politics, will be updated shortly.
- A few essay question stems have been amended to reflect practice in the live series. Any 30-mark essay question stems which used 'Evaluate the extent to which...' have been amended to 'Evaluate the view that...'. This is to help clarify for students the need to reach a judgement on the view stated in the essay question.
- Appendix 2: the definitions of the key terms Supplementary Vote (SV) and Executive orders have been corrected.
- In addition to these new issues, the mark scheme indicative content in future live series will revert to the layout and approach taken in the sample assessment materials.
If you have any questions about these changes please feel free to contact me.
Government and Politics
+44 (0) 344 463 2535 (Teaching Services team | Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm GMT)