Esports assessment support
This assessment support page provides general information about 'Streamlined' Assessment - the assessment adaptations available in this academic year (2021-2022), as well as qualification specific information for our Esports qualifications.
You will also find the BTEC Centre Guides, links to the assessment and verification forms, Quality Advisor training events and information about how to use the BTEC Assignment Checking Service.
The 2021-2022 Teaching, Learning and Assessment Support page
This might be an important page to bookmark this year. The Teaching, Learning and Assessment web page will be updated throughout the year.
2020-2021: the Qualification-level ‘Teacher Assessed Grade’ (QTAG) processes ensured that learners were able to claim certification.
2021-2022: QTAGs not permitted.
2021-2022: an updated adaptation called ‘streamlined assessment’. Streamlined assessment is where you will only be required to assess one learning aim from the selected unit.
Not all qualifications are able to use the streamlined adaptations, and some qualifications do not have any assessment adaptations in place, due to their smaller size.
The option to streamline the number of assessments indicated in the guidance is at the centre’s discretion upon reflection of the continued impact of disruption to learners caused by the pandemic.
Centres should continue to plan to deliver all content and assessment to ensure learners are best placed for their future progression. However, streamlined assessment is available, if required, to create additional time for lost teaching and learning.
The following principles apply to all learners:
- All content must be taught.
- Centres should plan to take all assessments planned for 2021/22 academic year.
- Centres should prioritise mandatory unit assessments, and those that have been identified as important for learner progression (e.g. linked to HEI admissions).
- Streamlined assessments should only be applied to mandatory units as a last resort.
- Streamlined assessment cannot be applied to units that are synoptic (this is detailed in the relevant specification).
- The option to streamline the number of assessments indicated in the guidance, is at the centre’s discretion and on reflection on the continued impact of the disruption caused by the pandemic on the learners.
- Streamlined assessment is available to create additional time for teaching, learning and access to facilities like workshops, studies and laboratories.
- Where streamlined assessment is applied, centres must assess at least 1 learning aim, of the centres choice, that covers all available grades for the unit.
- The learning aim must be assessed, a grade awarded and submitted on EOL with the relevant ‘streamlined flag’ (further administration guidance to follow).
- Centres should continue to ‘bank’ units through the year using the ‘interim’ claims function in EOL.
Centres will need to declare which units have been subject to streamlined assessment (further administration guidance to follow).
- Centres can choose to assess all units, and not use the streamlined internal assessment option if they are able to assess all content.
Support for assessment
The programme ratings are available on pages 17-18 of the BTEC Centre Guide to Quality Assurance (please see below).
The Centre Guides can help you with all the Quality Assurance processes.
We have templates, forms and guides to help you save time and fulfil your part in the BTEC assessment and verification process with ease.
You’re welcome to use your own forms and templates, but it may be worth referring to ours to ensure you’ve got the essentials covered.
The Pearson quality advisor team offer a range of free online events to support all aspects of quality assurance in relation to your BTEC programmes. Whatever your role, please take a look at our list of events on offer on our Quality Support Hub Events page. These events are offered on different days and at different times so we are sure you will find a slot to suit you and your teams.
In order to access the ACS, you will need to complete the form using the following options:
|Customer options||Teacher & Department Heads|
|Issue type||Systems, Tools & Services|
|Category type||BTEC Assignment checking Service|
You can then complete the rest of the online form providing all the information relevant to your case, attach the assignment brief once you have submitted the case.
Please ensure that you have also read the ACS terms & conditions.
Original learner evidence should be kept current, safe and secure for up to 12 weeks after learners have been certificated.
Following learner certification, assessment records (feedback sheets) and the associated internal verification documentation need to be kept for a minimum of three years.
This is taken from the BTEC Centre Guide to Internal Assessment which has a detailed section on retention of learner work and assessment records.
Authorised Assignment Briefs are available for most units.
You may use Authorised Assignment Briefs 'off the shelf' but they still need to be internally verified.
You may wish to use these as a model for your own assignment briefs and you can have these checked by our Assignment Checking Service.
Streamlined assessment is where you will only be required to assess one Learning Aim from the selected unit.
Streamlined unit assessment means that the number of internally assessed units that need to be assessed in full is reduced, and for Esports only optional units are eligible.
Level 2 Esports
We have assignment briefs for Units 1-4.
Streamlined assessment is where you will only be required to assess one learning aim from the selected unit.
Streamlined unit assessment means that the number of internally assessed units that need to be assessed in full is reduced, these could be mandatory or optional, but cannot be units that are synoptic.
So, for the BTEC Level 2 Award in Esports, it would have to be Unit 1.
For the BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Esports, it would have to be Unit 1.
For the BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Esports, it would have to be one of Units 3, 4, 6 or 7.