Revised Entry Level Certificate in Science accredited by Ofqual
A revised Entry Level Certificate in Science, based on GCSE Science 2011 course content, has been accredited by Ofqual for first teaching in September 2013. This will replace the current Entry Level Certificate in Science specification (8938), which will have its final assessment in June 2014.
About the course
Entry Level is recognised as the first level of the National Qualifications Framework. The content of the units maps directly to the Edexcel GCSE Science 2011 qualification, to facilitate co-teaching.
The course offers flexible teaching, delivery and assessment approaches. It’s designed to be taught in small steps to meet students’ individual learning styles. Each unit is only assessed when the teacher decides that students are ready.
This qualification gives students opportunities to:
- achieve a Certificate in Science at Entry Level 1, 2 or 3
- acquire scientific knowledge and an understanding of important scientific ideas
- develop an interest in science, supporting further study at a higher level.
For each level, assessment is based on two components:
- Up to six unit tests (60%), internally marked and externally set and moderated
- Up to three assignments (40%), internally marked and externally set and moderated.