Clarification of CIMSPA Practical Assessment
Many centres have asked for clarification on the requirements for their summative assessment for the CIMPSA endorsed qualifications in the 2019 BTEC Sport and L2 Sport Industry Skills specifications.
Clarification of CIMSPA Practical Assessment requirements for the following courses:
- BTEC Nationals Sporting Excellence and Performance (2019)*
- BTEC Nationals Sports Coaching and Development (2019)*
- BTEC Nationals Sport, Fitness and Personal Training (2019)*
- BTEC Level 2 Sports Industry Skills (Instructing Circuit Training)**
- BTEC Level 2 Sports Industry Skills (Instructing Exercise in a Gym Environment)**
- BTEC Level 2 Sports Industry Skills (Leading Children's Sports Activities)**
* Units C1, C2, D1 and/or D2
** L2 Sports Industry Skills - the respective Unit 4
Clarification of CIMSPA Practical Assessment requirements
Many centres have asked for clarification on the requirements for their summative assessment for the CIMPSA endorsed qualifications in the following specifciaitons:
- 2019 BTEC Sport
L2 Sports Industry Skills
The guidance has been extended from July 2020, it states that:
"The assessment should be conducted with ‘real clients/participants’ and not with peers. A real client/participant is someone who is, in the best case, a member of the club/facility or the equivalent for self-employed trainees
"‘The real clients/participants’ must not:
- work at the same facility as the learners
- be related to the candidate, i.e. a spouse, partner, step-parent, brother or sister, etc.
- be enrolled on the same qualification as the trainee at the same time
- be a close friend."
This means that other learners or tutors at a centre who are NOT on or delivering the same course can be clients/participants.
Learners can work with other learners on different courses assuming they are old enough to be exercising in a gym environment (for Gym Instructor or Personal Training) OR tutors at the centre that have not taught the learner.
For the coaching qualifications they can coach participants in other years on a different course in the same college or school or an affiliated primary school as well as other educational institutes in the local community.
The recommendation would be that the participants are younger than the learner leading the coaching session.
In the meantime, formative assessments with peers, family members etc is expected and encouraged to support learners to develop their customer communication skills as well as technical requirements of their practical assessments.
NB: Currently (September 2021) the requirement to work with non-family members has been relaxed due to COVID-19 to allow summative assessment to take place where possible, this will be reviewed regularly, CIMSPA is due to be review this in August 2022.