New BTEC International level 2 qualifications
From 1 September 2014, we are offering new BTEC level 2 qualifications for international customers.
These new qualifications will:
- be very similar in content, structure and assessment to our BTEC level 2 First (QCF) qualifications and follow the same quality assurance process
- be 100% internally assessed
- enable progression to the next level of study
- continue to offer a high level of support to help centres with qualification delivery.
Why are we introducing new Pearson BTEC International level 2 qualifications?
From 1 September 2014, UK centres are moving to next generation BTEC level 2 Firsts on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF), which uses a combination of internal and external assessment. This means that we are withdrawing our existing BTEC level 2 Firsts on the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF). The last registration date for the QCF qualifications is 31 August 2014.
- external assessment timetabling (making assessment opportunities available at a time which is suitable for learners outside the UK)
- aligning to the UK academic year (many international centres run 'roll-on, roll-off' programmes that are not suited to a qualification with external assessment opportunities, timed to fit in with a teaching year starting in September).
We have, therefore, decided to create these new qualifications, which will be tailored to the needs of centres outside the UK to ensure they can continue to deliver our high-quality BTEC level 2 programmes.
How will the new qualifications be regulated?
These qualifications will be regulated by Pearson rather than Ofqual (the regulator of qualifications in England) and are therefore not available to learners in England.
Frequently asked questions
The last registration date for all existing BTEC level 2 First (QCF) qualifications internationally is 31 August 2014. This means that, from 1 September 2014, international centres who want to continue delivering BTEC level 2 First qualifications need to register students onto the new Pearson BTEC International level 2 qualifications.
The last certification date for BTEC level 2 First (QCF) qualifications is 31 August 2016. In addition, there will be an opportunity for existing students to drop down the size of the qualification they are studying within the parameters set of the last certification date.
The new BTEC International level 2 qualifications are approved from 1 September 2014 until 31 August 2016 for new registrations.
The last certification date for these qualifications is 31 August 2018.
During this time, we will consult with our centres as part of our ongoing qualification review process to make sure that the qualifications contain appropriate content and meet learner needs.
Learners taking the new Pearson International BTEC level 2 First QCF qualifications will be able to progress onto BTEC level 3, A level and International Advanced Level qualifications. In addition, the skills that learners develop while studying a BTEC qualification can support progression into local study programmes.
See more information about important changes to assessment rules for these qualifications