Salters' A level Awards 2020
The Salters’ Institute has been a curriculum partner of Pearson in developing and supporting specifications for A level Biology and, in conjunction with the Horners’ Company, A level Physics.
Each year, the Salters’ Institute recognises students who show exceptional performance in their external examinations in Salters Horners Advanced Physics or Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology. The awards are for £200 and all winners receive a certificate. Awards are presented during the Salters’ Institute’s Annual Awards Ceremony at Salters’ Hall, to which all award winners and their families are invited.
The Salters’ Institute and the Horners’ Company wish to retain the tradition of giving awards, but because of the cancellation of the summer examinations, this year there will be a change in the way in which students are nominated.
- Students should submit a report of up to 1000 words about an issue that is of particular interest to them
- Salters Horners Advanced Physics: this report could describe a piece of significant practical work, such as an independent research project, carried out during the course
- Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology: this report could describe a piece of significant practical work, such as fieldwork, carried out during the course
- Alternatively, it could be an analysis of an issue in contemporary physics or contemporary biology
- The report should be written for the intelligent lay reader.
- Entries should be submitted by schools, not by individual students.
- Entries are limited to a maximum of one entry per school in each subject. Where more than one student wishes to enter, the school should select the strongest candidate. Alternatively, a group of up to three students can submit a single report.
- Where a group of up to three students have collaborated to produce a single report, this group constitutes a single entry.
- Students should be studying the relevant Salters specification for the subject in which they are entering. In the case of Physics, students should have been using the Salters Horners approach for most of their A level course.
- Part of the criteria used in choosing the award winners will be the grade awarded in the summer of 2020. Award winners should be anticipating A or A* grades in their A Level.
- Entries from schools who have never had an award winner before are particularly encouraged.
How to apply
- Applications should be sent by email, using the nomination form below, to email@example.com
- The closing date for entries is 30 September 2020.
- The winners will be announced in early November and will be invited to attend the Salters’ Institute Annual Awards Ceremony at Salters’ Hall on 4 December 2020.
- The Salters’ Institute will publish a selection of the best reports. Any enquiries should be directed to the Salters’ Institute: firstname.lastname@example.org