AS and A level Design and Technology consultations now open
AS and A level Design and Technology qualifications will be redeveloped for first teaching from September 2017. The consultations on subject criteria and assessment objectives are now open.
The consultations propose that:
- students will still able to specialise through one of three endorsed routes:
- product design
- fashion design and development.
- students will be required to develop a core breadth of knowledge of:
- there will be a focus on students being able to:
- identify market needs for new products
- initiate and develop design solutions.
- there is a stronger focus on how students communicate their design ideas, using sketching and computer-aided design
- Food Technology has been removed as an endorsed route within Design and Technology, and DFE has decided not to develop a separate Food A level, as has been done at GCSE.
Find out more
The DfE is consulting on the subject content, and Ofqual is consulting on the amount of non-examined assessment and the assessment objectives.
You can find details of the consultations, including the content and assessment for AS and A level Design and Technology, as well as how you can respond, on the DfE and Ofqual websites: