Essential Skills Wales About Edexcel Essential Skills Wales
About Edexcel Essential Skills Wales
Find out more about our Edexcel Essential Skills Wales qualifications, why you should take them and how they are assessed.
What are Essential Skills Wales?
Essential Skills Wales are the only basic skills qualifications offered in Wales. Designed for 14-19 learners, they are available at:
- Entry Levels 1-3
- Levels 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Centres can offer Essential Skills Wales as stand-alone qualifications or as a key component of other qualifications, including BTEC Apprenticeships and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
The Essential Skills Wales suite consists of three individual skill areas, with qualifications available at each level within these skills:
- Application of Number
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
Why take Essential Skills Wales?
Essential Skills Wales qualifications:
- are designed to meet a range of different needs, offering more choice and clearer progression for learners
- aim to improve the skills of young people and adults
- provide a single suite of skills standards and qualifications, suitable for all learners - both young and adult - and across all contexts
- provide a better guarantee of the skills young people need to participate and progress in education, training and employment
- develop and secure the broader range of aptitudes, attitudes and behaviours that will enable learners to make positive contributions to the communities in which they live and work
- offer flexible, portfolio-based assessment with no externally assessed components.
How will I be assessed?
Essential Skills Wales qualifications are assessed through a portfolio of evidence, giving you the freedom to present your work in a variety of ways: written, video, electronic or a combination of these.
Your portfolio will be internally assessed by your centre, and verified by Pearson.
Interested in offering Essential Skills Wales?