May 2016 work-based learning and colleges update
This month's update includes information on engineering SASE frameworks and the new engineering apprenticeship standards.
Important update to engineering SASE frameworks
From September 2016, the following qualifications will be available for delivery in the Level 3 Engineering and Manufacture SASE frameworks:
- 601/7584/9 Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Engineering (360 GLH)
- 601/7591/6 Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Engineering (540 GLH)
- 601/7580/1 Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Engineering (720 GLH)
- 601/7588/6 Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Engineering (1080 GLH)*
* The Extended Diploma only appears in selected pathways - please see the most recent SASE Framework documentation for more details.
This will allow providers to choose between the current QCF qualifications or the new 2016 versions for delivery of SASE Apprenticeships.
For more information on delivering these in Apprenticeships, please contact us.
New engineering Apprenticeship standards
Level 3 Machinist - Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
The Level 3 Machinist Standard is now available for delivery and contains mandatory qualifications at Level 2 and 3.
The Level 2 knowledge qualification will be available from January, with the Level 2 competence qualification available now.
Level 3 qualifications will be available from September 2017 as the foundation phase must be completed first.
Level 2 Rail Engineering Operative and Level 3 Rail Engineering Technician
The Level 2 and Level 3 Apprenticeship Standards for the Rail Engineering Industry are now ready for delivery. The Level 2 knowledge and competence qualifications will be ready for September 2016. The Level 3 qualifications will be available from December 2016.
The Level 4 Rail Engineering Advanced Technician standard has also been approved for delivery and qualifications to support this standard will be available from September 2017.
The following standards are currently in development:
- Engineering Technical Support Technician (Level 4)
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineering Engineer (Level 6)
For more information on these or any Apprenticeship ‘Trailblazer’ standards, please contact us.