Your top questions answered for music

12 September 2013

Find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about our music qualifications.

Read more

If you have a query that requires expert assistance, please email the subject team at

We've received queries about myBTEC for music, so we realise that there is high demand for it. At this time, we don't have further information as to when it will be released, but the provisional date of release at this time is some time in September 2013.  

Yes, the BTEC First from 2010 in Music is in operation until June 2016. The last date for registrations on this course is 31 December 2014. Headline measures and performance points accreditation from this qualification will be awarded for the Extended Certificate and Diploma (2010 version) only and this ends in June 2014. The 2010 Award and Certificate performance table points accreditation have already terminated from June 2013. 

Yes, the new BTEC First from 2012/2013 does have a paper-based exam and the core and mandatory units are all mandatory. Please note that the number of core and mandatory units will increase according to the size of the qualification. 

Yes, we offer BTEC courses in music that start at level 2 and progress to higher levels with equivalences to A levels.

Unfortunately, due to DfE and Ofqual regulations, our customer services team won't be able to discuss results for exams and coursework over the phone or by email. Instead, find out how to make an Enquiry About Results

Resources for music qualifications

The resources you can use to deliver courses in music are quite flexible.

  • You'll find materials on the relevant qualification page.
  • For further resources, please see our Pearson publications website.
  • For hard-copy versions of non-secure downloadable material (such as exam papers and specifications), call Edexcel Publications on 0845 172 0205*.

BTEC Firsts in Music resources

Authorised Assignment Briefs are in development for each of the Award units in the BTEC Firsts from 2012 and 2013 in Music. You can use these 'off the shelf' or adapt them according to your learners' needs. Any changes must be internally verified and documented.

You can find the briefs in the course materials on the relevant qualification page. 

You can also use the assignment checking service to have your assignment briefs checked by a member of the senior assessment team. For more information on this, and to access the link to submit your briefs, please visit the assignment checking service page.

Sample Assessment Materials (SAMs) are also available for our BTEC Firsts from 2012 and 2013 in Music. These give you and your learners the opportunity to familiarise yourselves with the kind of content and structure to be expected for the external examination.  

You can find the SAMs in the course materials on the relevant qualification page. 

OSCA (Online Support for Centre Assessors) is the online system that facilitates BTEC coursework accreditation and provides access to examples of marked candidate work. For OSCA administrative queries, you will need to get in touch with our OSCA team at For information on quality assurance, assessment, internal verification, Lead IV and the sampling process, please see our Quality Assurance Handbook.

It's down to the centre to determine what they require of candidates who wish to deliver and assess at their school. You will need to speak to the centre directly to find the exact requirements to teach the specifications within their establishment.

For more information on teaching requirements within the United Kingdom, please see the Department for Education information on teaching in the UK.

Here's some general information on basic teaching requirements:

For NVQs, the exact level qualification or higher will be required (along with the A1V1 or TAQA in order to deliver and assess).

For BTECs, the qualification requirements are actually quite flexible. Experience within the subject to be taught is the typical requirement. As the teaching requirements are less strict by government guidelines, it is ultimately down to the centre's requirements for those who wish to teach BTECs in their facility.

The only certification that Edexcel recommends is the OSCA certification, which is a certificate stating that you know how to assess and verify. This test is free andyou can find out more by emailing our BTEC team at

For the steps of assessor (1), Internal Verifier (2), and Lead Internal Verifier (3), you can only be one of these steps or steps 1 and 3 together: you can never be step 1 and 2, or 2 and 3, as this is a breach of trust. In other words, you can't mark your own work and verify it, or verify someone else's work and then lead verify it, as this would be a breach of trust. 

For special considerations or requirements, please get in touch with our Special Requirements team at

All the best,

The Music Team

*Calls cost 3p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.

What do you think?

Are you sure you want to exit this session?