Withdrawal of GCE AS Global Development from 2017
Find out why we've decided not to redevelop our GCE AS Global Development qualification for 2017.
As we revise our GCSE and A level qualifications in line with the new criteria from Ofqual, we've made some decisions about which of the reformed qualifications we can offer to the high standards that we require.
In making these decisions, we've focused on developing qualifications that meet our World Class Qualifications principles, to ensure that they will support young people to meet the challenges of today and tomorrow. We also take into account a wide variety of factors, including:
- Our existing knowledge and expertise in the subject area in question
- The resources we have in place to ensure we are developing high-quality qualifications that meet the needs of schools and students
- Whether the qualification meets the principles for an A level or GCSE as described by Ofqual
- Whether there is interest from schools or students in the qualification
- Input and expertise from employers and HE/UCAS
- Whether it's possible to continue to set valid and reliable assessments for the subject
- Whether we offer a similar A level or GCSE qualification or similar vocational qualification in the subject.
After careful consideration, we've decided not to redevelop our GCE AS Global Development qualification for 2017.
The final first teaching date for Edexcel GCE AS Global Development is September 2016 and the final assessment window for this qualification is likely to be in summer 2017, subject to the final outcomes of a forthcoming Ofqual consultation around resits. We will, of course, continue to support you as you deliver the current qualification.
If you have any questions, please contact us.