Pearson Edexcel GCSE Physical Education (2016)
Summer 2021 support
The Department for Education (DfE) and Ofqual have confirmed their approach for issuing grades in summer 2021:
- Exams will not go ahead as planned
- A teacher-assessed grades approach will be used for all UK-regulated qualifications, including GCSE, AS and A level, AEA and Projects
- Judgements will be quality-assured by awarding organisations
- Teachers will collate a ‘basket of evidence’ for pupils expecting to receive a grade this summer
- Students will be able to appeal their grades
The consultation also confirmed that students will only be assessed on the content that they have been taught, and that there will not be a requirement to assess a minimum proportion of the course content.
Non-exam assessment (NEA)
The consultation outcomes stated that students were encouraged to continue with and complete any non-exam assessment, but confirmed that learners who are unable to complete their NEA will not be penalised.
The changes which were already made to the assessment and delivery of the NEA for 2021 are still valid.
- For the GCSE full course Component 3, students will only be required to complete their assessment in 2 activities/sports, instead of 3.
- For the short course Component 2, students will only be required to complete their assessment in 1 activity/sport, instead of 2.
- Students on the full course can also choose any combination of individual and team sports, including them both being team or both being individual, whilst those students on the short course can choose their activity or sport as either individual or team.
NEA completed for 2021 will not be externally moderated.
We will be supporting you and your students every step of the way with the 2021 summer arrangements. The summer 2021 assessment materials for centres are now available via the link above. You can also access our support Overview Document which brings together all the resources you need to support your grading decisions.
GCSE (9-1) PE Teachers: We'd like to hear from you!
We are currently reviewing our examined components papers 1 and 2 for our Pearson Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Physical Education qualification, and would appreciate if you could take a few minutes to complete our survey.