Pearson Edexcel GCSEs Geography B (9–1) from 2016
Summer 2022 support
On 30 September, the Department for Education and Ofqual published the outcomes of the consultation on proposed summer 2022 adaptations, including optionality and advanced notice.
The consultation concluded that all of the proposals set out in the consultation document would be implemented.
This is in addition to the outcomes of the 2022 NEA and field work consultation, which published on 16 June. These confirmed the carry forward of arrangements which were put in place in 2021 to take account of public health restrictions that could have had an impact on the way the assessments in certain qualifications could be conducted.
For GCSE Geography, the following arrangements have been confirmed for summer 2022:
To make exams in 2022 less daunting, exam boards will provide a degree of content optionality in GCSE geography in 2022. These changes are in addition to the changes relating to the assessment of fieldwork in geography GCSE which Ofqual announced on 16 June.
Changes relating to the assessment of fieldwork in GCSE Geography B
GCSE Geography B optionality
Paper 1 - Global Geographical Issues
Students answer questions on:
- Topic 1: Hazardous Earth
- Topic 2: Development dynamics
- Topic 3: Challenges of an urbanising world.
Structure for Summer 2022 only
Students answer questions on:
- Topic 1: Hazardous Earth AND EITHER
- Topic 2: Development dynamics OR
- Topic 3: Challenges of an urbanising world
Paper 2 - UK Geographical Issues
No Change (Questions on students’ own fieldwork already removed for 2022).
Paper 3 - People and Environment Issues - Making Geographical Decisions
The requirement for centres to make a declaration to exam boards confirming they provided all students with the opportunity to undertake fieldwork on two occasions has been removed.
Students will not be required to answer exam questions relating to their own fieldwork experience. The unfamiliar fieldwork questions relating to physical and human geography will be retained in the exam. The following changes will be made:
- There will be no questions about students’ own fieldwork, students will answer unfamiliar fieldwork questions only.
- Specification B, Paper 2: In Section C1 students must answer either Q8 Coasts or Q9 Rivers and in Section C2 students must answer either Q10 Urban or Q11 Rural.
- Each question will be marked out of 10 and each question will be based around a fieldwork context relating the fieldwork environment you’ve studied.
We will be supporting you and your students every step of the way with the 2022 summer arrangements.
You can find the materials which we currently have available to support teaching and learning below, including additional revision support tailored to GCSE Geography B that includes free teacher access to Pearson’s Revise ActiveBooks* for use in class, available until 28 June 2022.
*You do not have to purchase any published resources to deliver our qualifications. Other Pearson Edexcel endorsed resources are also available.