Edexcel GCSE English Language (2010)
Here, you'll find everything you need to study for or to teach the Edexcel GCSE in English Language, including key documents and the latest news.
Students of our Edexcel GCSE in English Language will develop their skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing, looking at the patterns, structures and conventions of written and spoken English, and how its variations relate to identity and cultural diversity.
- Qualification type:
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
- Level 1/2
- Accreditation status:
- English Language
- Specification codes:
- UK and international
- First teaching:
- First assessment:
Why choose this specification?
We’ve worked with English teachers and the wider English community to ensure our Edexcel GCSE in English Language meets the needs of both you and your students.
Our GCSE English Language specification features inspiring content designed to challenge and motivate, with engaging assessment that allows students of all abilities to show what they can do.
Key benefits of the Edexcel GCSE in English Language:
- A common unit with GCSE English
- Familiar writing tasks shared with GCSE English to maximise use of existing resources
- Option to use the same Different Cultures text so you can share resources and training with GCSE English Unit 2 and GCSE English Literature Unit 1
- Wide variety of non-fiction texts so you can choose those that are best for your students and your centre’s resources
- Spoken Language Study tasks that have been tried and tested by our pilot centres, with access to extensive support including student work and examiner commentary.
Speaking and Listening DVD
The Speaking and Listening DVD (ISBN 9781446921531) supports the teaching and assessment for GCSE English and GCSE English Language.
To get your free copy of the DVD, call Edexcel Publications on 0845 172 0205 (UK - Calls cost 3p per minute plus your phone company's access charge) or +44 203 538 1646 (international) or email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the ISBN.
Spoken Language study resources
The Spoken Language study resources support the teaching and assessment for GCSE English Language Unit 3.
We've teamed up with Teachit to build special banks of material matched to our GCSE English, English Language and English Literature specifications. These resources have been written specifically to support:
- non-fiction texts - whether digital or paper
- new Different Cultures texts
- spoken language study in our specifications.
Controlled assessment support
Please ensure you study the correct task and themed texts for the academic year in which you intend to submit your marks:
- 2013-2014 (November 2013, summer 2014 and November 2014): Children's Literature; Online Social Networking
- 2014-2015 (summer 2015 and November 2015): Pets; Attractions.
There are three digital texts and three paper texts for each theme. As stated in the specification, the digital texts should be studied onscreen. However, in response to centre feedback, we’ve provided printable versions for those digital texts that do not otherwise print easily.
- It’s only necessary to study the homepage of the websites.
- The content will be the same across the digital and printable versions, but the format may differ slightly.
- If you’re opting for a digital text, the live assessment must be viewed onscreen.