Edexcel A level Geography (2016)
Summer 2021 exam support
In August 2020 Ofqual confirmed there will be changes to the 2021 examination series due to the impact coronavirus has had on students’ education. Here you’ll find the information you need to help you understand the changes to AS and A level Geography.
Ofqual has confirmed that the changes for the 2021 series will be to remove requirements for:
- (i) a written statement that centres have given students the opportunity to undertake 2 days of fieldwork
- (ii) to answer questions in the exam relating to their own fieldwork experience. Retain unfamiliar fieldwork questions in the exams but not require them to cover both human and physical geography.
Ofqual has confirmed that the changes for the 2021 series will be to:
- (i) remove the requirement for written statement that centres have given students the opportunity to undertake 4 days of fieldwork.
- (ii) Exam boards to review their guidance about their expectations relating to primary data for the non-exam assessment.
We will provide details of exactly what this means for our specifications and assessments.
We will be providing you and your students with materials specifically tailored to help you prepare for the summer 2021 exam series. Links to content support will be listed below as it becomes available and we will let you know when further information is added.
Please note that these changes apply to the 2021 exam series only. For students due to be examined in 2022 these changes do not apply.
We will be supporting you and your students every step of the way with the assessment. To help guide you through the changes we have produced (links to the support will be listed below as it becomes available and we will let you know when further information is added):
- Detailed guide (PDF | 105 KB) to changes to specification content and assessment
- FAQs (PDF | 135 KB)
- Cross Awarding Organisation guidance
We are also working really hard to provide you with new catch-up support as soon as possible. The following will be coming soon (links to the support will be listed below as it becomes available and we will let you know when further information is added):
- Support for changes:
- Online network events to ensure you are up-to-date with the changes and able to share ideas for delivery of the knowledge, understanding and skill required for the NEA
- Fieldwork NEA marking video guides with live Q&A session
- Series of Online lessons supporting you with delivery of fieldwork and NEA
- Links to resources from experts in the wider Geography community
- Help you understand where there might be gaps in content:
- Baseline/Diagnostic tests for your Year 12 & Year 13 students to gauge any gaps in recent learning
We also have our existing support materials to help you with your planning and assessment needs:
- Examwizard: use these to select specific questions you’d like to practice with your students, or create topic tests for longer checks
- Breadth and depth guidance – to make sure you're not over-teaching
- Wide range of fieldwork support
- Past papers and examiner reports
For more information about how to Switch to Pearson Edexcel GCSE Geography please visit our support page.