A levels Chemistry (2015)
Summer 2021 exam support
In August 2020 Ofqual confirmed there will be changes to the 2021 examination series in some subjects due to the impact coronavirus has had on students’ education. Here you’ll find the information you need to help you understand the changes to AS and A level Chemistry.
Ofqual has confirmed that the changes for the 2021 series will be to remove requirements for:
(i) permit observation of demonstrations and/or simulations to cover required practical apparatus and techniques. We will provide details of exactly what this means for our core practical activities. It is important to note that this does not impact on the specification content or the nature of examination papers, both of which remain unchanged.
Ofqual has confirmed that the changes for the 2021 series will be to:
(i) a change to the requirements for the Practical Endorsement which allows assessment of the Common Practical Assessment Criteria (CPAC) across the minimum number of practical activities required to demonstrate competence.
(ii) permit exam boards to monitor centres’ application of CPAC by remote, rather than school-based, monitoring. We will provide further details of exactly what this means in terms of our Core Practical activities and in terms of any remaining Monitor visits. It is important to note that this does not impact on the specification content or the nature of examination papers, both of which remain unchanged.
We will be providing you and your students with materials specifically tailored to help you prepare for the summer 2021 exam series. Links to content support will be listed below as it becomes available and we will let you know when further information is added.
We will be supporting you and your students every step of the way with the 2021 examination series. To help guide you through the changes we have produced:
We are also working really hard to provide you with new catch up support as soon as possible. The following will be coming soon (links to the support will be listed below as it becomes available and we will let you know when further information is added):
- recording of our Back to School update
- A level online networks available to book on the events page
- year 12 mocks to check students understanding of key areas
- year 11 to year 12 transition tests to help identify gaps in learning and inform your teaching for the next academic year
- a playlist (24 KB, XLSX) for all the core practicals in A level to support you with teaching the core practicals when you may not be able to carry them all out with your students. This will be available in October.
- a set of CPAC FAQs (PDF, 0.2 MB)
We also have our existing supporting materials to help you with your planning and assessment needs:
- Examwizard: use these to select specific questions you’d like to practice with your students, or create topic tests for longer checks
- Results plus
- Past papers and examiner reports
For more information about how to Switch to Pearson Edexcel Qual and subject please visit our support page.