April 2016 work-based learning and colleges update: Healthcare sector
This month's update includes information around the standards which have been approved by BIS, new qualifications and standards verifiers.
Standards for Healthcare Science Assistant have been approved by BIS
The Assessment Plan has been submitted to BIS for approval. The standards cover job roles within the following areas:
- Life Sciences – Pathology Investigations of Disease and Disorder
- Physiological Sciences – Clinical Investigation of Human Functions and Systems
- Physical Sciences – Medical Physics and Clinical Biomedical Engineering.
Pearson is working with the Trailblazer Group and a number of employers to develop the qualification that will assess the standards part of the Apprenticeship. The qualification will be called Pearson BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Science and includes units covering the knowledge, skills and behaviours to work as a Healthcare Science Assistant in any of the three areas above.
Pearson currently offers the Pearson BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Introduction to Healthcare Science. The Certificate consists of five mandatory units. These five units will make up the mandatory group in the new Diploma. Therefore the Certificate can be used as a stepping stone onto the Diploma.
The Level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Science is due to go operationally live on 1 September 2016.
Pearson is putting on Healthcare Science Assistant Apprenticeship launch events on the following dates:
- 21 June 2016 – Birmingham
- 23 June 2016 – Manchester
- 30 June 2016 – London.
This event is for anyone who is interested in knowing more about the new Healthcare Science Assistant (Level 2) Apprenticeship that will be available from 1 September 2016.
This event will cover:
- How the new Trailblazer Apprenticeships are developed.
- The structure of the new apprenticeships compared to current SASE apprenticeships.
- The Healthcare Science Assistant (Level 2) Apprenticeship and its components.
- An in-depth look at the qualification that Pearson has developed for on-programme including delivery and assessment.
- An explanation of End Point Assessment and what this means for your organisation and your apprentices.
- Other apprenticeships in Healthcare Science.
If you are interested in attending this event, please speak to your account manager.
New qualification for Health Screeners
Pearson has been working with Public Health England, Skills for Health and Health Screener experts to develop new units and a new qualification for learners wanting to progress into the following job roles:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurism Screener
- Diabetic Eye Screener
- Diabetic Eye Grader
- Diabetic Eye Screener Grader
- Newborn Hearing Screener.
The new qualification is called Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Diploma for Health Screeners and will be available from 1 April 2016.
If you would like more information, please contact your account specialist or contact us.
Health Screener Standards Verifiers
Pearson is recruiting Standards Verifiers for the new Health Screener qualification.
You will have to meet the following requirements:
- Be able to show evidence of occupational competence from working in the Diabetic Eye/Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm/Newborn Hearing area in the past five years.
- Hold or be working towards External Quality Assurance Award.
- Complete relevant CPD on an annual basis.
You do not need to be a qualified Assessor or Internal Verifier to apply for this role.
Closing date: 29 April 2016 at midnight