It’s really great news that Ofqual has accredited both our new Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Geography A and B specifications, for first assessment in 2018.
This comes as particular relief for teachers already teaching new GCSE Geography as part of a 3 year Key Stage 4.
You can download the accredited specifications and sample assessment materials from our website now (there are no changes from draft version 3):
- GCSE Geography A Geographical Themes and Challenges
- GCSE Geography B Investigating Geographical Issues
We’ll also be sending hard copies of the specification and sample assessment materials in December, so look out for yours later this term!
Free support and resources
There's already lots of free support online to help you plan and teach the new GCSE Geography A and GCSE Geography B with confidence. Plenty more materials are coming soon, including free topic packs and more schemes of work, and we'll let you know as soon as they're online. Already available are:
- Getting Started teacher guide
- two and three year editable course planners
- Mapping of the new specifications to the current specifications
- Detailed editable schemes of works to help with those teaching the course now
Free training events
Our subject specialists are hosting a range of free face-to-face and online events to introduce and get you started on our new courses:
- free launch events are a great way to explore both GCSE A and B qualifications in overview.
- free Getting Ready to Teach events go into you preferred specification’s content and sample exam papers in more detail, with activities on planning, delivery and assessment.
We’ll have more events for you in the spring term.
Paid for materials and resources
Pearson’s new GCSE resources include Student Books for both the Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Geography A: Geographical Themes and Challenges and Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Geography B: Investigating Geographical Issues and will help your students tackle new content and develop the key geographical, mathematical and literacy skills that are at the heart of being a good geographer. Teacher support through our ActiveLearn Digital Service is available by annual subscription.
We are working with a range of publishers who are looking towards getting their resources endorsed:
- Hodder Education: Supporting Edexcel GCSE Geography A with a brand new edition of the bestselling Tomorrow’s Geography Student’s Book.
- Oxford University Press: Publishing for Edexcel GCSE Geography B
- Pumpkin Interactive - with amazing footage shot around the world, Pumpkin's DVDs deliver inspirational video case studies across a range of geographical themes and issues.
- ZigZag Education - photocopiable resources for learning, revision & exam practice, including Topic-on-a-Page, Practical Skills & Teaching Packs.
Pearson progression service
We know that it’s important for you to understand and monitor the progress of your students, so you can make sure they are on track to achieve their potential. This has become even more critical with:
- the removal of national curriculum levels
- a new grading structure at GCSE (9-1 replacing A*-G)
- the emphasis on measuring progress from 11-16 through Progress 8.
Our free 11-16 Geography Progression Scale and Map is linked to the new GCSE 2016 Assessment Objectives and represent our expert view of how learning progresses in Geography, and how understanding and skills build upon each other. These tools give you richer insight into student performance in a way that is easy to understand and is reliable.
If you have any questions, please feel free to:
All the best