Updated sample assessment materials for changes to exam papers from summer 2013
We have made some minor changes to the examination papers for both the GCSE PE full course (5PE01) and short course (5PE02).
To support centres through this change we have prepared updated sample assessment materials and mark schemes.
From summer 2013, there will be some minor changes to question types used to assess candidate responses. Please note the written examination paper will still contain multiple choice, short answer and long answer responses.
The changes are outlined below.
Unit 1 – Full Course (5PE01)
- We have reduced the number of single word response questions, replacing them with short answer questions that are marked out of 3 or 4 marks.
- As per the changes in summer 2012, the longer answer questions will not contain supporting bullets.
Unit 3 – Short Course (5PE03)
- We have reduced the number of multiple choice questions and will no longer use the ‘whether two linked statements are true and/or false’ question type.
- We have also reduced the number of single word response questions, replacing them with short answer questions that are marked out of 3 or 4 marks.
- As per the changes in summer 2012, the longer answer question will not contain supporting bullets.
For both full and short course, the total marks available for the written examination paper remain the same, and there will still be common questions between the two papers. There have been no changes to the controlled assessment unit. The content and topics in the specification remain the same.
Please continue to prepare your candidates for these papers as described in the GCSE 2012 linear specification for first assessment in 2014 and the 2013 sample assessment material.
You'll find the sample assessment materials, along with a letter and FAQs about the changes, on the course materials page under 'Specification and sample assessments'.