Edexcel GCSE Biblical Hebrew (2018)
Here, you'll find everything you need to prepare for GCSE Biblical Hebrew from 2018 (first assessment from 2020) including our draft specification and draft sample assessment materials.
We’ve worked closely with teachers and expert practitioners to offer a unique and interesting course of study which will engage students in the literature and language of Biblical Hebrew.
Our qualification has a straightforward structure, with two elements, assessed through two externally examined papers. Our mark schemes make the requirements clear.
We have designed the GCSE qualification to give students a solid introduction to the study of Biblical Hebrew, which they can pursue in more depth at A level.
- Qualification type:
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
- Level 1/2
- Accreditation status:
- In development
- Biblical Hebrew
- Specification codes:
- UK and international
- First teaching:
- First assessment:
GCSE Languages 2018: What's changing
These changes will apply to all awarding organisations’ specifications:
- The new 9-1 grading system will replace A*-G, and there will no longer be any controlled assessment. All papers will be set and marked by the awarding organisation.
- Papers will be tiered, with 25% assessment weightings per skill (listening, speaking, reading, writing).
- Compulsory topics will be linked to identity and culture; local, national, international and global areas of interest; and current and future study and employment.
- Papers will include:
- short translations from and into the target language
- some target-language questions in the reading and listening papers
- authentic stimuli in the reading paper, including literary texts.
Get the latest information on our new Biblical Hebrew qualification.
We'll provide support for you to plan and deliver the new GCSE in Biblical Hebrew. Whatever guidance you're looking for, we're here to help.