Functional Skills Overview
Find out what support is available to help you deliver Edexcel Functional Skills, including training, resources and our free Initial Assessment Tool.
Initial Assessment Tool
Our free Initial Assessment Tool can help you decide which level of Functional Skills English or maths a learner should study.
We run a variety of training events to support you in delivering Functional Skills. To find out more, search available courses and book, visit:
We also have a range of subject-specific podcasts.
Our extensive range of free resources will help you plan and deliver Functional Skills, saving you valuable preparation time and making it easy to find the right material to inspire your learners.
Our free Functional Skills resources include:
- sample activities
- lesson plans
- sample schemes of work
- curriculum models
- mapping documents
- sample assessment materials
- complete delivery guides.
For a range of free Functional Skills resources, go to the course materials page for your subject and select 'teaching materials'.
Resources available to buy
We publish a number of resources that you and your learners may find helpful when delivering or studying Edexcel Functional Skills qualifications.
Edexcel’s Functional Skills Student Books and Teacher Guides help learners to develop the essential skills needed to pass Functional Skills tests and give you the support to plan and deliver these qualifications across Levels 1 and 2.
- are tailored to Edexcel specifications, so you know you’re covering everything you need to
- are packed with assessment practice materials, including mock papers and end-of-chapter tests
- provide comprehensive support and guidance to ensure you have the tools to teach and assess progress.
To find out more about Functional Skills Student Books and Teacher Guides, view sample material and order evaluation copies, follow the links below:
Our Teaching and Learning Disks provide all the support, ideas and practical activities you need to deliver Functional Skills and help learners develop the skills they need for study, work and everyday life.
- All the material is provided on a CD, which can be uploaded to your Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
- The resources can be customised to suit your learners’ needs and are perfect for all learning situations - in the classroom, in small groups, or for independent learning.
- Teaching notes and task-based activities provide ideas to help you contextualise learning for different sectors and apply it to everyday scenarios.
Integrated printable and e-activities can be used for either teacher-mediated or independent learning.
Our Teaching and Learning Disks are available in English and Mathematics, covering Entry Levels 1-3 and Levels 1 and 2.
Our Functional Skills resources can easily be used alongside Sure Skills, our suite of interactive courses which help learners to develop their literacy and numeracy skills. Covering Entry Level 3 to Level 2, Sure Skills is fully mapped to the Functional Skills standards.
Each course disk contains teaching and learning content, ready to load onto your Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), and includes:
- interactive learning and activities
- skills review
- end-of-unit quiz
- tutor notes
- curriculum mapping documents
- resource sheets.
The following websites all have information about Functional Skills that may be of use to you:
Excellence Gateway - Access to information, resources, networks and development opportunities for the further education and skills sector.
Apprenticeships - Information about the National Apprenticeship Service.
Skills Workshop - Free Functional Skills and Skills for Life resources.
Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) - The JCQ site has information about access arrangements for learners with special requirements.
Department for Education - Information and FAQs about Functional Skills.
14-19 and Functional Skills support programmes - An archive of resources to help you prepare for Functional Skills teaching.