September 2023 teaching English update
Welcome back to the 2023-2024 academic year. In this update you'll find all the information and support you need for a smooth start.
Where to find help with June 2023 exam results
There are links to all the services and information you may need in this update.
Access guidance on understanding awarding and grade boundaries in June 2023 for UK and international qualifications. You can consult grade statistics to compare student outcomes at each grade each exam series.
What to expect from future exam questions
As many English qualifications enter their eighth year of delivery:
Find out more about what to expect from exam questions
With your Edexcel Online login you can access updated question summaries for each English qualification to look back over what has been set historically.
Key updates for the 2023-2024 academic year
Please join me for key updates in September for each set of English qualifications:
- GCSE: 7.9.23, 16.00-17.30 BST
- A level: 11.9.23, 16.00-17.30 BST
- International GCSE: 14.9.23, 16.00-17.30 BST
- GCSE English Language Spoken Language Endorsement refresher course: 19.9.23, 16.00-17.30
Getting in touch
You can contact me/get information about our English qualifications in the following ways:
- Contact us for teachers
- On our English community groups for each English qualifications group: English general (for news about all English qualifications); GCSE; GCSE 2.0; Int GCSE; A level; Entry Level Certificate; and Functional Skills.
- See key video guidance on my youtube channel
- Sign up for my monthly email updates
- Check out the English Subject Page
- Book a meeting with me.
From 1 September, I will no longer be tweeting from @PearsonTeachEng, but you can tag @PearsonEdexcel.
Access the ordering instructions
The access code is KEHSY. Please note, we are currently reprinting the Int GCSE anthology. I will confirm when it can be ordered in this post (from around 25 September).
Teacher profiles on Edexcel Online
- To save you time at key points in the year, please take a minute to work with your exams officer to make sure that teachers in the English department have the correct profile on Edexcel Online.
- To open locked past papers or anthologies on thewebsite: ‘basic access’ must be ticked
- To access students’ scripts: ‘exam viewer’ must be ticked
- To access centre moderator reports: ‘results’ must be ticked
- To enter coursework marks/spoken language endorsement grades: ‘coursework and portfolio’ must be ticked
- To use ResultsPlus (a separate website): ‘ResultsPlus’ must be ticked in Edexcel Online.
- If you experience MFA issues, please access the troubleshooting
Don’t miss the great range of largely free courses on offer from September: Summer 2023 exam feedback and network for each GCSE; ‘New to’ each GCSE; How to apply the mark scheme; and a special shout out for two events with the wonderful Bennie Kara: Diversity in KS3 English and Diversity in KS4 English Texts.
Spoken language endorsement updates for 1EN0 and 2.0
- Join me for refresher training on 19 September.
- Read the updated Admin Support Guide.
- Read the resit rules.
- Read the updated SLE submission guidance.
Free teacher access to Pearson’s online GCSE revision
Pearson Revise Online gives every student the same access to eBook revision guides, quick quizzes and knowledge checks for Pearson Edexcel GCSE English Language, and English Language 2.0. This year, teachers can get free access to the platform to use in front-of-class revision lessons in the run-up to mocks.
Forthcoming training for each A level; ‘New to A level English Literature’ & ‘Summer 2023 feedback’ for English literature.
Text changes on 9ET0: please note in the specification the four new texts added in 2022, for first assessment at A level in June 2024 (Les Blancs, Sweat, The Cutting Season and Home Fire).
English Language A: please note the changes to coursework affecting certification from June 2024. November 2023, is the last exam series in which the ‘old style’ reading coursework (on 2 texts with commentary) may be submitted. From June 2024, all coursework submissions must follow the issue
6 specification (3 texts, including poetry and prose, with no commentary).
Please access support for the new coursework format in this post.
English Language A and B optional spoken language endorsement
Please access the new Administrative Support Guide to help you with video-recording your sample, naming files and uploading to the LWT.
Modular International GCSEs for international centres
Mocks and moderation service
Find out about how well our onscreen assessment went in June 2023.
Read more about onscreen assessment for English for this academic year.
Festival of Functionality
We have a really wide range of training events on offer throughout September, with some very important support for those teaching students with additional needs.
I hope the term runs smoothly and look forward to supporting
you this year.