Teaching Support Essential Digital Skills Qualifications
About Level 1
Essential Digital Skills qualifications (EDSQs) will be available later this year and will be automatically funded for adults who don’t have the basic digital skills they need for life and work.
Level 1 – designed for adults with some experience of using digital devices and the internet but lacking secure basic digital skills.
- 45 GLH | 50 TQT
Assessment at Level 1
- Task-based assessment
- Question paper.
First teaching is in September 2020 (subject to Ofqual approval).
We will be providing online webinars, designed to help you understand the specification and assessment process better. Updates on this to follow.
These are an important pre-requisite of skills learners need to have prior to starting EDSQ:
- Turning on a device (including entering and updating any account information safely, such as a password)
- Using the available controls on a device (such as a mouse and keyboard for a computer, or touchscreen on a smartphone or tablet)
- Making use of accessibility tools (including assistive technology) to make devices easier to use (such as changing display settings to make content easier to read)
- Interacting with the home screen on a device
- Connecting to the internet (including Wi-Fi) safely and securely, and opening a browser
- Opening and accessing an application on a device
Further information for Centres
- The centre will be given a detailed mark scheme to mark the assessment against national standards.
- The standards verifier will visit the centre and sample learner work to check that the mark scheme has been followed and national standards have been applied.
- The assessment will be taken on demand by the centre. Pearson will allocate an assessment to the centre. Pearson will produce three assessments each year covering different parts of the content, the centres will not have access to the assessments and they will be allocated on a random basis.
- The assessments will take 2 hours and 30 minutes for Level 1 and assessed under controlled conditions, the assessments can be split into the tasks and question paper.