International GCSEs Tamil (2017)
Summer 2021 support
We've confirmed that we'll use a robust approach based on teacher assessment for the May/June 2021 series and that exams will not go ahead as planned.
- To ensure fairness for all students around the world, we want to ensure parity with our UK qualifications and so will align the evidence-based approach for international qualifications with the approach for UK qualifications, as far as it's sensible to do so.
- Student grades will be derived by teachers and centres, with support throughout from Pearson. With our support, it will be possible to use a variety of evidence to inform the grade that will be submitted to Pearson.
- We want to ensure that you have access to assessment materials that will enable objective and fair judgements to be made about student performance; we have also heard from you that you want us to support you in translating evidence-based judgements into grades.
- We will be supporting you and your students every step of the way and we will share further guidance on our website about how you can use all the available evidence to arrive at a student's grade.
One of the forms of evidence that will be made available is the optional use of unseen test materials. We'll send unseen test materials to all centres. You and your students will be familiar with the style of the materials, as they will look like question papers used in a normal exam series.
These test materials can then be used in two ways:
- As unseen materials they can be presented to students in a controlled situation, in a specified timeframe, for them to respond to
- Or, after the specified timeframe, in the knowledge that they may be familiar to students, used as one part of the evidence that supports the teacher grade.
To support the use of these unseen materials, we'll be offering an optional marking service where our expert examiners will mark your student responses. We'll mark the test materials and return a mark to you for your consideration when deriving the student grade. We'll provide you with support to understand how the mark aligns with performance descriptors so that you can be confident in your understanding of the mark. This will be an optional service and if you'd prefer to mark the materials yourself, we'll be providing mark schemes and training materials so that you can do so with confidence.
The approach for this series will be underpinned by a quality assurance process that focuses on helping you to make judgements, based on evidence, that are objective and consistent.
We promise to now work with you to make sure that students receive grades to progress to the next stage of their education. We'll provide detailed guidance and support to ensure that this happens. This will include: how to reach grading decisions; the creation of assessment materials; the quality assurance process and appeals; along with the general support around timelines and submission systems. We will also be providing support for teachers through our Professional Development Academy where teachers will be able to sign up and access a range of resources.