Edexcel GCSE Japanese (2017)
Here, you'll find everything you need to prepare for GCSE Japanese from 2017 (first assessment from 2019) including the accredited specification and sample assessment materials.
We’ve carried out research with teachers and students to ensure we offer you qualifications and support that you can have confidence in.
Our qualifications are designed to enable all students to meet their potential, communicate confidently and support progression.
We've embedded cultural and authentic material throughout this qualification with topics that you have told us you enjoy teaching - giving students a sense of purpose to language learning.
- Qualification type:
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
- Level 1/2
- Accreditation status:
- Specification codes:
- UK and international
- First teaching:
- First assessment:
GCSE languages 2017: What's changing
These changes will apply to all awarding organisations’ specifications:
- The new 9-1 grading system will replace A*-G, and there will no longer be any controlled assessment. All papers will be set and marked by the awarding organisation.
- Papers will be tiered, with 25% assessment weightings per skill (listening, speaking, reading, writing).
- Compulsory topics will be linked to identity and culture; local, national, international and global areas of interest; and current and future study and employment.
- Papers will include:
- short translations from and into the target language
- some target-language questions in the reading and listening papers*
- authentic stimuli in the reading paper, including literary texts
* Languages using logographic systems such as Mandarin Chinese and Japanese must set all questions and task instructions in English, as the sole use of hanzi or kanji is deemed too challenging for this level.
These conditions are still in draft and are currently being finalised by Ofqual.
Get the latest information on our new Japanese qualification.
Free Getting Ready to Teach events
Our free Getting Ready to Teach events will support you in delivering our new Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Japanese specification for first teaching from September 2017.
If you don’t have an Edexcel Online account, you can book by emailing us at email@example.com.
Download the presentation
Can't get to one of our launch events? View the presentation here.
We'll provide support for you to plan and deliver the new GCSE in Japanese. Whatever guidance you're looking for, we're here to help.